• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roudybush mini vs crumble: the showdown

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Taking @Dona 's advice, I tried the mini size to see if it'd slow my boys' pellet inhalation rate down. Well, in a way it did.
Sprite won't eat them at all. He sifts through them, pushes them all around, then looks at me with this "where's my crumble?" grumbley look. Then he'll remember the other cup that still has crumble and run over to dig in.
Mylo and Blueberry kind of eat them, but not as much.
Jellybean, though, thinks they're the next best thing to fruit. He lovvvves to hold them in his feet. Even when I had only the crumble, he would search out the larger pieces and hold them (after dipping in the water).

So survey says: majority wins with crumble in my flock!

An interesting tidbit: Jellybean is the most avid food-in-foot holder I have. Blueberry comes a distant second. Sprite will for short periods of time, usually several seconds. Mylo I've never seen hold anything. Not sure if that's related or not!

Another interesting tidbit: very few of the pellets mixed with seed get eaten (65% pellet, 35% seed). They all prefer to eat the pellets out of the pellet-only cups.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Showdown! lol I love your flock and how in tuned you are @NorthernGannet . They are all Linnies but have their own ways. Gigi continues to like her mini size, taking 1 out of the bowl, racing over to dip in water ridiculously fast, then biting it, lining up pieces on her perch and eating them one by one. No feet. Hilarious. I'd weigh an ounce and half if I ate that slowly too. She eats her Nutri-berry in the afternoon by carrying it up to her highest perch and then eating it while holding it in her foot. If it drops, she goes down and gets it and goes up again. She also carries apple pieces up to the top.