• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roudybush for baby GCC?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi. I’m new to parrots and bringing home a baby GCC next week. The bird store that we es him put him on Roudybush maintenance crumble. Is this the best food I can provide over the long term or should I transition him to something better over time once he’s settled in? Also, how soon do I introduce fresh veggies and fruits? I’m planning on sprouting and using pine nuts and sunflower seeds (organic, raw and unshelled) for training but we’ll see what actually motivates him/her. Thank you for your feedback.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Roudybush is a great pellet :) No sugar, no dye, and backed by decades of research and feeding trials.

I've always just offered fresh food in a separate bowl from the dry diet :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Not to be a fan girl, but can I just say how reassuring it is to read this from you! Mind at ease on this topic at least : )

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not to be a fan girl, but can I just say how reassuring it is to read this from you! Mind at ease on this topic at least : )
Aww :heart: :hug7: I'm happy to help! You'll have 999 other things to worry about now is all :lol: (we all still worry about stuff ;) )

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I have one gcc that LOVES pine nuts!! While everybirdie, at my house, gets half an almond for a mid-morning treat....he prefers pine nuts (I give him 2). That should be a good training tool (my birds don't care much for sunflower seeds...I don't know if I just got lucky with this fact??)!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Aww :heart: :hug7: I'm happy to help! You'll have 999 other things to worry about now is all :lol: (we all still worry about stuff ;) )
Just got back from Trader Joe’s. Now my pantry has as many parrot treats as kid snacks! Lol. Btw, each time I googled if an item was safe, the top result took me to this forum so yay AA!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'd start to offer veggies right away. He'll probably mostly play with them, but it's important to expose them to lots of different things when they're little. You can also soften up the pellets with water if he struggles with them. Lots of parrots back-slide when they move into their new home, and revert back to hand-feeding. So make sure to have some of the hand-feeding formula on hand just in case. Weighing him every day will help make sure he's gaining when eating the veggies and pellets. If he's not gaining, supplement with hand-feedings.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I'd start to offer veggies right away. He'll probably mostly play with them, but it's important to expose them to lots of different things when they're little. You can also soften up the pellets with water if he struggles with them. Lots of parrots back-slide when they move into their new home, and revert back to hand-feeding. So make sure to have some of the hand-feeding formula on hand just in case. Weighing him every day will help make sure he's gaining when eating the veggies and pellets. If he's not gaining, supplement with hand-feedings.
Thank you! I’ve been really lucky so far: she’s eating a ton of pellets, tried broccoli and kale today (left the quinoa and carrot), a couple of pomegranate seeds, 2 almond slivers, 3 pumpkin seeds and a pine nut. Fingers crossed my luck holds up.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Thank you! I’ve been really lucky so far: she’s eating a ton of pellets, tried broccoli and kale today (left the quinoa and carrot), a couple of pomegranate seeds, 2 almond slivers, 3 pumpkin seeds and a pine nut. Fingers crossed my luck holds up.
That's awesome! You must be so excited! Once she's home just watch for what she's picking out first and save those for special training treats. My Meyers loves safflower seeds, but for my Rose Breasted Too is sunflowers all the way. They each get some bits of nuts each day which I usually hide around the cage for foraging.

Our Rose Breasted loved the sprouts right away. We got him as a baby and exposed him to LOTS of different things right away and now he'll try almost anything I hand him (he may not eat it, but he'll try it. LOL!). The Meyers is another story. I struggled for a year before she'd eat sprouts. I lured her in by putting 2 safflower seeds in the dish mixed with the sprouts. She finally caved and ate them. I can now say I'm more stubborn than a Meyers. :laugh: