• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosie's vet visit- feeling like a bad bird parent

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Rosie had a vet visit today. I actually expected it to be uneventful and really just a nail trim. Came home with 2 meds for the little guy. I feel so bad. So, as you may remember, Rosie is my 32 year old cockatiel. Since I got him (2 years ago), he has always had a little bald neck. The daughter of his former owner said he started plucking when his owner became ill. Rosie had a previous crop swab which came back as normal. Today's vet check shows that he may have parasites. :sad5: And I am completely drawing a blank right now on the name. The vet said the test wasn't 100% conclusive but was irregular enough that she thinks we should put him on the meds to be safe. I am so upset that this may be the cause of his little bald neck! I feel like I should have caught it sooner- even though I did have him tested. Heavy sigh. She also gave me pain meds for him. She is concerned about how he holds his wings. Again, it's not something I really noticed. She says it's hard to say for sure if he is in pain but we're going to test out the pain meds for a week to see if it makes any difference. Honestly, Rosie is a happy, chirpy little bird. But I guess fresh eyes catch things that you don't see. I assumed that at his age, he had to have some degree of arthritis and give him senior nutriberries and natural anti-inflammatories. I've had his feet looked at before and the consensus was that he just had old bird feet but they didn't look arthritic. I really never thought about his wings. So, all in all, I am feeling like a bad bird parent at the moment. I really thought Rosie was doing well. Which the vet said he is based on his age. But I feel like I should have caught these things sooner. Rosie of course won everybody at the vet's office over because he really is a sweetie. I just hope he feels okay.
Hey @sunnysmom I did a quick research after reading this. Trich is form of
canker, do know former owner had doves or pigeons?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hey @sunnysmom I did a quick research after reading this. Trich is form of
canker, do know former owner had doves or pigeons?
Not that I know of but the information the rescue had came from the daughter. She said he was an only bird.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Rosie had a vet visit today. I actually expected it to be uneventful and really just a nail trim. Came home with 2 meds for the little guy. I feel so bad. So, as you may remember, Rosie is my 32 year old cockatiel. Since I got him (2 years ago), he has always had a little bald neck. The daughter of his former owner said he started plucking when his owner became ill. Rosie had a previous crop swab which came back as normal. Today's vet check shows that he may have parasites. :sad5: And I am completely drawing a blank right now on the name. The vet said the test wasn't 100% conclusive but was irregular enough that she thinks we should put him on the meds to be safe. I am so upset that this may be the cause of his little bald neck! I feel like I should have caught it sooner- even though I did have him tested. Heavy sigh. She also gave me pain meds for him. She is concerned about how he holds his wings. Again, it's not something I really noticed. She says it's hard to say for sure if he is in pain but we're going to test out the pain meds for a week to see if it makes any difference. Honestly, Rosie is a happy, chirpy little bird. But I guess fresh eyes catch things that you don't see. I assumed that at his age, he had to have some degree of arthritis and give him senior nutriberries and natural anti-inflammatories. I've had his feet looked at before and the consensus was that he just had old bird feet but they didn't look arthritic. I really never thought about his wings. So, all in all, I am feeling like a bad bird parent at the moment. I really thought Rosie was doing well. Which the vet said he is based on his age. But I feel like I should have caught these things sooner. Rosie of course won everybody at the vet's office over because he really is a sweetie. I just hope he feels okay.
What matters is that you are taking him to the vet and providing follow-up care based on vet's orders. It's okay. :)