• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosie

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a sweet little old man. :heart:

20200101_192226.jpg

So, we're settling into a nice routine with Rosie. His new cage that I ordered came in. So, I'll be hopefully moving him into it this weekend. He doesn't move around a whole lot but I still felt that he should have a bigger cage. He took to senior nutriberries right away and is also eating freeze dried vegetables, not into fresh, but that's okay. And he gets as much millet as he wants. I figure at 30 he deserves it. And I keep giving him the supplement powder his owner had him on. I figure it can't hurt. He doesn't like to come out of his cage everyday. More like every other day. And that's okay too. He does fly but kind of vertically, not horizontally, and we're still working on our landings. LOL. But he does pretty well all things considered. And he whistles off and on all day and says "Whatcha doin'?" in the cutest voice. He and Scooter are not really interested in each other but maybe in time. He has a bit of a bald spot on his neck and I just noticed he has these weird feathers on both sides of his face that weren't there before. You can kind of see it in the picture. Like they're falling out but still there. Maybe a slow molt? Not sure. But I think he looks pretty amazing for his age.

Last edited:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
He looks so sweet!

What supplement are you giving him? As I have a tiel who I think is at least 20 - I often wonder if I should be also giving him something else besides his regular food.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He looks great! He sounds like such a sweet, mellow little guy, and he sounds like he’s fitting right in. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He looks so sweet!

What supplement are you giving him? As I have a tiel who I think is at least 20 - I often wonder if I should be also giving him something else besides his regular food.
I'll have to look when I get home. I forget the name. It's kind of weird because it's for like breeding birds or something like that. But his owner has given it to him it to him all of his life, I guess. She gave the rescue 2 containers of it for him when he was relinquished. I read through the ingredients and it has brewers yeast in it which is good. Poppy seeds which is a little strange to me. And then a bunch of other things. I'm big on senior nutriberries for older birds too. Have you tried those?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny has wonky feathers like that too. I think it's just an age thing.
I was wondering if that was the case. I just noticed these yesterday. Any bald spots? He has a patch under his neck. I don't think it's in a spot he could have plucked. So I am assuming he just lost them.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was wondering if that was the case. I just noticed these yesterday. Any bald spots? He has a patch under his neck. I don't think it's in a spot he could have plucked. So I am assuming he just lost them.
No but I do think he has some spots that are thinner than they used to be. I assume Rosie doesn't have any signs of irritation in the bald spot?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wowza! That's quite old for a cockatiel. He looks wonderful. So nice of you to make him more comfortable!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so happy he is with you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
No but I do think he has some spots that are thinner than they used to be. I assume Rosie doesn't have any signs of irritation in the bald spot?
Not that I can see. I was told he had a vet check in June. And he's had the bald spot since he came to the rescue. So, it's not something new.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He looks so sweet!

He gets Volkman Petamine. It says it's a breeding formula. Which clearly he's not breeding. LOL. But if he's always been given it, I hate to stop. And he's 30 so.... it's clearly not hurting him. In looking at the reviews for the product a lot of people say they've been giving it to their birds for many years so it must be more common than I thought. I had just never heard of it before. It contains ground corn, flax seed, calcium, wheat germ, ground anise seed, brewers yeast, and a bunch of other things. But it's all ground up like a power, except for some small dark seeds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle