• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosella Parrots

kingpp

Moving in
I was wondering if anyone owns any of them, and what they are like.

Because I’d like to know what they’re like behaviour wise.

I’ve done a lot of research on it but I wanted to get the opinion of people who aren’t big companies trying to sell me stuff.

Cheers!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I had a single male Adelaide Rosella. He started mutilating because he wasn't happy being in my home so I gave him up to a fella with an aviery.
When I first got him a member here warned me they do better in an aviery, and that turned out to be so true.
Absolutely stunning birds though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have a friend who hand raised some and I believe although she can still interact with hers they are also happier out in the aviary. My neighbor has one in an aviary also that never seems happy about feeding or branch replacing time- the complete opposite of their galah.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Didn´t @Mockinbirdiva have one also? (There is definitely someone else, but I cannot quite put my finger on it...)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Simon was 13 weeks old when I bought him... sight unseen from a breeder I found on classified ads in another state. He was hand fed as well. As far as that goes... hand feeding can simply mean a breeder pulls chicks, feeds them until they fledge but doesn't have the time to really work socially with them. Another factor is a young bird, hand fed, goes through quite a stressful time when leaving it's flock, what it has known and introduced to a new person, voice, home, sounds. Patience with a rosella can result in a bird more likely to be hands on but certainly may not be a cuddly bird or want to be touched like some people just seem to want to do. Simon would step up for me, I could hand him over to other people to hold. Like many other birds when he didn't want to step up he would bite. I knew less about birds then, he could have been a better companion because of that. With that said, I did enjoy him and would certainly have another if there was room in the Bird Inn. They are striking birds!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is the only photo I have of Simon when we moved from our old house to this house back in 1997... in a travel cage before we set up his flight cage... hence the barren look of it. I lost so many photos when I had to get a new computer. One of my favorites of him was with him sitting on a unique rolling cart with foliage behind him at the old house. Somebody else loved it so much they "borrowed" that photo and put it on their website ... a rosella breeder. After I lost Simon to an illness at age 10 I poked around breeders and came across his photo.... and called them to tell them to take it off.... misrepresenting their flock with my bird. Anyway... he was such a beautiful boy and whistled the theme to 'Mayberry'.

Simon0007.JPG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This was my Roger, such na wonderful call. Can hear youtube in the background.
Roger is gorgeous. I have missed seeing him. Did you manage to get an update?
My fave video of Roger that you posted , hands down, is this one;

And Tau :sad3: He was so beautiful!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh yes I love that Roger video!!! He has the smoothest moves :heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Roger is gorgeous. I have missed seeing him. Did you manage to get an update?
My fave video of Roger that you posted , hands down, is this one;

And Tau :sad3: He was so beautiful!
That's the one I wanted to find Thank you so much.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hello!

My uncle kept a trio of rosellas. (2 males and a female I think!)

They were lovely birds (although I didn't see much of them).

Sadly they had to be rehomed as they were very loud and they were in a flat. At that time, I didn't have any birds. If I had experience, I would have loved to have taken them on.

Sorry, not much help on the behaviour front!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have a friend who hand raised some and I believe although she can still interact with hers they are also happier out in the aviary. My neighbor has one in an aviary also that never seems happy about feeding or branch replacing time- the complete opposite of their galah.
I bought a few budgies from the neighbour of a friend and he had a pair in an aviary at the opposite side of the garden. They were really nice birds and seemed really,lay happy.

Out of interest rosella keepers, what are they like/what is there suitability with other species?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I bought a few budgies from the neighbour of a friend and he had a pair in an aviary at the opposite side of the garden. They were really nice birds and seemed really,lay happy.

Out of interest rosella keepers, what are they like/what is there suitability with other species?
Here's some reading for you ... but short answer is... they are not suitable to be housed with other species, or with another pair of rosellas... they can be aggressive with other birds.