• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rose Breasted questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
How loud can these birds be?

Are they frequently loud?

Besides fatty liver and tumors, what diseases are these particular birds prone to?

What pellets do they tend to like the most?

Are they prone to nippiness?

What the most important thing to know about RBC's?

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
I have a group of them in trees next door to me and in the evening it's deafening. A friend has one and it's very loud. He does get a bit nippy when you hold him and he wants to get down,but he is adorable. Not sure about any other questions sorry.

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn
Awwwwhhh I love rosies....I would love to have one! Don't have time space or $$ now but one day...One day!

Held a baby Galah at DJ Feathers last weekend. This bird seemed to love me at first site. I turned around to look at the birds in the cages behind me and he tuned right in to my station. He raised his crest fluffed up, came to the front of the cage and said let me out I want to be with you!!! So, I asked Dave, who saw this..."I think he wants you to hold him." Sure enough... His first move was sticking his head in between my boobs since his balence was off when coming out of the cage bc of his big wings/small baby body. Awkward ;) But then he place his beak on my mouth, fluffed up, raised his crest and cooed. It was the sweetest thing ever! I really wish I could take him home :heart:

The first experience I had with a Galah was years ago. At least 9. That bird choose me as well. Very sweet Very cuddly.

Honestly I think they are much quiter than the larger Too's. At the rescue where I got Ra, my sun conure, those Too's were ear piercing. One was mimicing the telephone at the top of his lungs! I couldn't even sound that loud if I wanted to!!!! But then again I haven't been around may large Too's often so Idk if there is a difference noise wise.

Therez a few youtube videos of Rosies I'll have to send ya ;)

Last edited:

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
In mt experience, all rb2 that i have had the chance to interact with have been super sweet and cuddly as well as neither nippy nor loud.
I could also just biased as they are my number one dream bird! :D

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
How loud can these birds be?
They can be pretty loud, although, not as loud as a Moluccan or U2. Rosies are known for being the quietest of the Cockatoo species.

Are they frequently loud?
Happy, well maintained Rosies will generally be noisy first thing in the morning and at dusk.

Besides fatty liver and tumors, what diseases are these particular birds prone to?
PBFD is seen with some frequency in wild flocks, but in captivity disease is no more prevalent with Rosies than any other species.

What pellets do they tend to like the most?
Like all other birds, this will depend on the individual bird, what pellet was used during weaning, and what pellet(s) the bird has been exposed to.
Because this species (particularly the subspecies; E. r. albiceps – Eastern Australia – Dark pink-red eye ring and whitish crest) has a tendency toward obesity. One may want to portion feed, rather than free feed. The majority of the diet should consist of fresh vegetables, with very minimal amounts of seeds and nuts. Weight should be monitored several times a week, so that weight gain can be effectively managed.

Are they prone to nippiness?
No more so than other species. It will depend on the individual, how that individual was weaned/socialized and maintained through his/her life.

What the most important thing to know about RBC's?
They are Cockatoos and require a good deal of attention, in addition to a proper diet, lots of exercise (Galahs are a very active bird and a large macaw cage is ideal, as is a large outdoor aviary for outdoor play to meet their activity requirements) and lots of mental stimulation. Most importantly, with any Cockatoo, they MUST be allowed to wean in their own time, regardless of how long it takes. They need to learn from the beginning how to be comfortable on their own, to play on their own, spend time in their cage alone, and be independent.
Socialization, throughout the birds life is a necessity, as Galahs do tend to be shy.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
I'm printing all this info and giving it to a friend...Thanks for all the advice!

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
My family of origin kept galahs as long as I can remember, and I have saved two in the last decade. They can be loud when playing or when neglected, but usually at dusk and dawn, they are clowns and love to shout when they play. They are cuddly and sweet but when they need to play by themselves(and given stuff to play with) will gladly play happily without a person, because they are more independent than many kinds of cockies as they grow up in creches, tended only by a guardian and other babies of the same age. Pellets are not the best, better to feed sprouted seeds, lots of vegies and some fruit, plus white cockies need more protein than other parrots, so chicken bones, meat, and pulses. They are more susceptable to PFBD than many other parrots. Obesity does seem to be the biggest problem in captivity, exersize and a strict quantity control of diet is very important. I would also suggest if possible to keep your bird fully flighted as flight goes through heaps of calories. Sunshine can be gained using a harness or even a travel cage outside. Do seriously consider a galah they are wonderful.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Galahs tend to make great pets but make sure you do your research on the breeder you get the bird from if you're getting a baby. I think this makes a huge difference. As many have pointed out, obesity can be an issue and can lead to lipomas and fatty liver disease, so you always want to be aware of it. Like all birds, they can be loud, but loud is a relative term. They certainly aren't as loud as any of the white 'toos but if you teach them bad habits, you tend to get stuck with them. They're definitely more independent than the other white 'toos and don't expect them to want to cuddle like the white 'toos because you may be sorely disappointed although many people do state that they do like to cuddle for short amounts of time. They can also become skiddish for no apparent reason, so socializing and making sure they are self assured is a big issue with them. Leaving them fully flighted is probably the best way around this problem.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Strawberry was raised by an assembly line breeder we believe. She did not have much interaction in her first few months of life. We finished her hand feeding off but by then she was already nippy.

In the last couple of years she has become almost clingy and does not want to leave me. She loves to be scratched most of the time but she can be moody. If she didn't sleep well she will be grumpy. Just yesterday something startled her and she flew up to my face and drew blood in two places. Today she was as sweet as could be. She is also nervous when taken out of site of her cage but I'm working on this. Strawberry is 10 years old and a barrel of fun.

Her favorite food is my birdie bread followed by Harrison's Pepper Lifetime course pellets. She didn't used to be very adventurous about food but since the introduction of birdie bread she is really becoming much better.

Nundy's Momma

Moving in
Real Name
Debbie
My BE2 only likes Kaytee Fiesta mix. He will eat some table foods and both human and birdie snacks. I am trying to change him over to Zupreem pellets like the rest of my birds eat. I mix pellets with seeds. I place some pellets in my hand and I eat them. He will put one in his mouth and pretend to eat then drop it. His beak looks flakey and I am worred about growth and malnourishment. Any suggesstions?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds beaks are naturally a bit flakey. If your concerned about a deficiency then you should do a vet check with some tests to find out if there is one and what it is.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My BE2 only likes Kaytee Fiesta mix. He will eat some table foods and both human and birdie snacks. I am trying to change him over to Zupreem pellets like the rest of my birds eat. I mix pellets with seeds. I place some pellets in my hand and I eat them. He will put one in his mouth and pretend to eat then drop it. His beak looks flakey and I am worred about growth and malnourishment. Any suggesstions?
Check this out,

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/21756-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Status
Not open for further replies.