• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rope

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I'd like to make my B&G Macaw some rope toys, nets etc... My question is, can I purchase rope to make these items from local stores, like fleet farm, home depot etc... or should I order it from a bird supply store? At our local fleet farm they had a rope called manila (I think). My concern is that maybe some ropes are treated with chemicals that could be harmful to my bird. Can I use a plain old cotton rope, and if so can it have colored threads in it? Thanks for any info. I'm new to birds and want to make sure I'm doing things right!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I would be weary about using manila rope-- because it is imported, it is most likely fumigated or treated in some way. If you are keen on buying from a local store, I would question the staff about the product-- make sure it is completely un-oiled and un-treated, all natural, etc. And yes, colored threads are fine-- but make sure that the cotton rope (if it is not "Supreme" cotton rope, which is specifically manufactured for birds) is very tightly threaded because a loose thread can catch toes!

Status
Not open for further replies.