• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rope Perches

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
Im still torn about whether to make rope perches. I know my canaries would love them, but uncertain about the risks. My canaries do have long nails and are eager beavers when it comes to shredding things. Im talking 35 canaries. Ive had felt nest pad threading that has twisted around toes. But the joy the would get from landing on them is a great motivating factor.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Do some canaries chew on rope perches? If some do, then I'd be watchful. Do they all live in a big aviary, if so, I wouldn't put some in just because I wouldn't doubt if at least one would start chewing it

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could give it a go, and if you see them shredding it, wrap with vet wrap or remove.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have used rope perches and even just clothesline rope for canaries. I’ve never had a problem.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
How well are canaries able to perch comfortably on clothesline.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Have you thought about using paper twine? It doesn't tend to break down into sharp little continuous threads like cotton fiber or sisal. Easier to soil, but I think that's an issue with all rope perches.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
The risk of losing a birds makes me too nervous. Ive decided to have a centerpiece of branches for them to play on instead. They can forage for seeds. I keep envisioning broken or missing toes and blisters.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds great! I’d love to see pics of your setup.

Have you thought about using paper twine? It doesn't tend to break down into sharp little continuous threads like cotton fiber or sisal. Easier to soil, but I think that's an issue with all rope perches.
This is a great alternative. I buy it in bulk and use it, even when hanging fake plants (sort of twist the plants around the paper rope). They’ll perch on it rather than the plants.

The yellow rope is in the aviary in this picture. You can see it best on the right. 6EF3A03F-B616-46D3-8FE6-49841E8D0A0A.jpeg

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
@finchly , I'm guessing those are fake plants. Are they safe for budgies? I think it would help add some color to my cage setup! Your setup for finches is absolutely adorable!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
As long as you are diligent about checking on the birds and the perches you should be ok. As an option you can wrap it in vetwrap to help prevent fraying.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly , I'm guessing those are fake plants. Are they safe for budgies? I think it would help add some color to my cage setup! Your setup for finches is absolutely adorable!
Thanks!
Yes they are fake. Budgies can (and do!) chew them apart sometimes, but I haven't had any problems. Canaries like to pull the flowers and line their nests with them. :D

I wrote about the specific ones I use here.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you @finchly ! I'm definitely going to go to a craft store and buy some!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would like to just offer a warning about vet wrap as it has been mentioned a couple of times on the thread i had to remove vet wrap from some temporary perches from one of my conures cages as she was eating it.

She only ate a small amount however it could have become a health issue if i didnt see it and react.

reviewing you setup be it a flight cage a aviary a play gym is the key