• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rope boing safety

mangosaur

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

I just ordered this set from Amazon for my lovebird and wanted to get some opinions on safety. I read some horror stories on rope boings after I had already purchased the item, but the reviews for this particular item have been pretty positive, so I just wanted to get some opinions on safety?

1602874765754.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The problem with the boing in the picture is the tassles. You could trim the tassles off and tape the ends with some vet tape. The actual boing itself is not too dangerous - like all toys/perches, you must monitor and remove if you see lots of loose threads as feet can get stuck, and if your bird is chewing it, they can ingest fibres.

As for the perches, do those have a smooth top edge? Pedicure perches that are abrassive all the way round can hurt birds feet.

mangosaur

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Zara, you're so helpful:) Thankfully, Mango doesn't like chewing his rope perches, but definitely better safe than sorry

The perches aren't as rough as they seem in the photos, only slightly raised. Ordered some more wood perches so that he can have more options

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just trim any loose bits, then it's fine. Of course you'll want to check them frequently to make sure they are still in good shape.

Reactions: Ali

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
As for the perches, do those have a smooth top dge? Pedicure perches that are abrassive all the way round can hurt birds feet.
Hey Zara,

In your opinion, would wrapping a perch like this in vet tape be good, or is it better just to replace the perch altogether?

My birds have this kind of thing hanging on their window.
It was meant for showers but they hate the bathroom, and I found it really convenient to hang a window swing from.
I have already been a little worried about this. It is the only "pedicure" type perch they own, almost everything else is natural wood.. but they choose to sit on the rough part more than I anticipated. Turns out they don't really like swings. :shifty:
1602948523224.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You could always run a strip of vet tape (cut it to the length or your birds toes front+back), and stick it along the length of the perch so that when they sit on it they are grabbing the tape part and their toes are on the abrassive part. (Basically, mimicking the Hagen and sweet feet perches with the smooth tops)