• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rooster or Hen

Rooster or Hen

• Rooster

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hen

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I know this isn't the group you're asking about but looking @ this photo I'd say you have @ least 2/3 cocks if not 4 going by the combs on the three I can see clearly. And I am not a chicken expert, just commenting on the differences.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The other thing I noticed is that the ones I'm assuming to be hens have combs that don't go past their entire eye. Those with larger combs, have combs that go to the end of their eyes in the middle of their head. :2cents:

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
We have three just like this , they are younger then the ones in the 2nd photo . I see what you mean about the combs though

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
We have three just like this , they are younger then the ones in the 2nd photo . I see what you mean about the combs though
Just observations as I said. I look at the differences and I know that hens have much smaller combs than cocks usually do (not to mention the size difference once grown).

Luciad08

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucie Delmotte
I know this isn't the group you're asking about but looking @ this photo I'd say you have @ least 2/3 cocks if not 4 going by the combs on the three I can see clearly mutuelles Entreprise. And I am not a chicken expert, just commenting on the differences.
Me anyway, I'm in the business for quite some time. That's why I registered on the forum. For advice from you.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You should be able to tell looking At their wing's at a young age.
Wing sexing is only in the first few days. Also it is not always correct.

View attachment 271654 Sure these are about a week or two older them mine . Male and female together they almost look identical. I’m thinking we might have to wait a few more weeks
Comb sexing can work to help determine sex when you have others to compare against, but again it is not always correct.

Some hens exhibit large combs.

The only way to determine a chick 100% male or female is DNA or a sexlink breed. Not all folk methods are incorrect, but most aren't fully reliable many males can exhibit female traits and the other way around. Some hens crow. Some hens fight with male posturing.

Saddle feathers are also a true sexing method. As males feathers will run straight down and be long and slender. However saddle feathers will not be present until your chick is older they start developing sexually dimorphic feathers.

Just wait. I know it is hard to do. If you are really needing to know, have a DNA done at your vet's office. Take folk remedies with a grain of salt. I have read some very strange things.. even holding them on their backs..one sex will stand vs not... Sorta ridiculous.

Even wing sexing which is what a lot of commercial egg production companies use isn't always 100%. not to mention that commercial egg producers destroy the cute little males :(

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These are all my babies View attachment 271692
EEeeeeeeeeep!! So cute!!!!! The fluffiness just melts me!!!!❤❤

I love going to the park in the spring to see hundreds of these little babies running around, is there somehing special I should feed them?
I usually take, chopped veggies, bread and bird seeds. The little ones usually go right in for the bread. Sorry to go a little off topic.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Me anyway, I'm in the business for quite some time. That's why I registered on the forum. For advice from you.
I only have small parrots living with me, but learning about other birds is always interesting. I know there are several members who have chickens/fowl so hopefully you'll get some input from them.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They all turned out to be hens. We are going to be getting more chicks soon and getting stait runs in the hopes of rooster
I just read this post, so I went back to the top and voted "hen". :D