• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roommates?

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Does anyone know if it is ok to have two greys in one cage?
I have a female & male “just companions, friends, playmates & obviously try to do “things” but my boy is clueless on what to do.

They are always together all day and night. They get along perfectly and I’ve never heard a disagreement.

I was told they need their own cage and can never share a cage, but I don’t understand this or why. So does anyone here have Grey’s that are roommates? What are your thoughts?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They can technically share a cage, that is how they are bred, but there are some concerns to keep in mind. The biggest one is that even birds that have gotten along perfectly for many years outside of their cages can, and many times will, react very differently in a cage where they are sharing what they have always considered their resources and personal space. It is always a good idea to get a new, neutral cage if you decide to go this route.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Always a risk my dear. A big factor is just what size cage are you talking about? Something measured in multiple feet is a minimum. The smaller the environment, the higher the risk.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
They can technically share a cage, that is how they are bred, but there are some concerns to keep in mind. The biggest one is that even birds that have gotten along perfectly for many years outside of their cages can, and many times will, react very differently in a cage where they are sharing what they have always considered their resources and personal space. It is always a good idea to get a new, neutral cage if you decide to go this route.
This is a great idea

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This is a great idea
For better or worse it is the safest way to do it. Unfortunately over the years there have been a few members who have posted about just putting two birds who were "best friends" into the same cage with catastrophic results (I do not remember enough details to find the thread, but at least one bird has died). Although a new cage can be expensive, I do recommend that people consider the cost of just one emergency veterinary visit let alone the follow ups for care can be literally thousands of dollars let alone the chance that even after that the bird may not survive.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've not this species...
But I've only had luck with 2 gcc sharing a cage, but with many times throughout their years together needing to be split to separate cages when tempers flared for days, , weeks, or month or so.

I currently have some very bonded birds that cuddles, preen , feed each other....but putting them in same cage for more than a few hours results in conflict , driving one to floor of cage or resources guarding.

With one who is the sweetest and wants to live with my older sweet girl who's a little timid. They never have aggression of any kind but the timid one won't eat enough. No matter how many food dishes I spread around in the cage she starts dropping weight.

So all I can say is had it mostly work once. But I had two complete full size cage set ups and accessories, and had to split them up occasionally