• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Room Rearrangement Quandry

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm rearranging the bird room to bring my desk out here. I've shifted all the cages - now all three used cages are in a row, and the unused cage is against a far wall.

However, that's where the problem lies.

The empty cage was the one Isadora liked to hang upside down from and scream at me. Now Davey's cage is there. Davey would rather the Devious Diva not hang from her cage, because he finds her a bit scarey.

How can I best manage this? Isadora wants to hang from Davey's cage, Davey would rather she not, and I'm having to play mediator between the two.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there a way to get her a playstand to hang out next to you with instead?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah that's unfortunately a recipe for problems. The cage either needs to be moved, made inaccessible somehow, or a more appealing alternative needs to be offered so she thinks it's her idea :lol:

You could try acrylic sheets so she cant get her feet in/around the bars, which at least will keep both birds safer.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yeah that's unfortunately a recipe for problems. The cage either needs to be moved, made inaccessible somehow, or a more appealing alternative needs to be offered so she thinks it's her idea :lol:

You could try acrylic sheets so she cant get her feet in/around the bars, which at least will keep both birds safer.
Knowing her, she'd work on cracking the acrylic :rolleyes:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
She appears to be having a temper tantrum over everything. Yanking the liner all over, throwing food, pulling on the sheet hanging by the window... I guess she doesn't like changes :lol:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hang something over the cages . Give her something a little higher she should choose that

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hang something over the cages . Give her something a little higher she should choose that
No dice - she doesn't like hanging things, only fully stable things. I'd have to screw something in, but this is a rental and I'm hesitant to do that :cautious:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
No dice - she doesn't like hanging things, only fully stable things. I'd have to screw something in, but this is a rental and I'm hesitant to do that :cautious:
You can put a stand to either side of the cages and use a shower rod , curtain rod , they have wood and plastic ones , or use an untreated 2 x 4. Extra long bird ladder .. ways to be creative. You can attach a large t stand to top of cage ..there are lots of ways to be creative.

While you know your birds likes and dislikes best. I never limit myself to cater to those. There is so much room for growth , development of confidence, and increasing adaptiveness.

My old rescue Penny came with a ton of hang ups , fears , hate of change, neophobia. While I made room for those, I made room for all the things that pushed her comfort zone as well. I never stopped believing she could be more do more . She is nearly bomb proof now , I can hang new toys , put her next to or on New weird stuff and she is curious rather than fearful these days. Took time, and very strong trust bond. I can stick her in a different cage or redo her cage, she is fine. Before this would have led to a meltdown, a freak out, acting out, or shutting down for days.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Funny you mention that!

Aw well hopefully as time goes on she'll be more interested in staying on the playstand.
Have you thought of a Java one that's more branchy with a lot of things to do to keep her interested? Like hanging a boing or a rope highways?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Aw well hopefully as time goes on she'll be more interested in staying on the playstand.
Have you thought of a Java one that's more branchy with a lot of things to do to keep her interested? Like hanging a boing or a rope highways?
I've looked at those, they're wildly expensive :wideyed: I have some apple tree branches from a local orchard, and I'm going to be cutting back the crepe myrtles in the yard because they're getting a little insane, and I think I'm going to attempt to build something... I'm just not 100% sure how. I'm not very creative at things like that:roflmao:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I once made a tree using branches, a largish pot, a 3-4" pvc connector and a bag of pebbles or gravel. Put the PVC inside the pot, Arranged the branches in the PVC center, fill with stones.

It will be heavy so make sure you don't want to move it anytime soon lol

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've looked at those, they're wildly expensive :wideyed: I have some apple tree branches from a local orchard, and I'm going to be cutting back the crepe myrtles in the yard because they're getting a little insane, and I think I'm going to attempt to build something... I'm just not 100% sure how. I'm not very creative at things like that:roflmao:
Totally understand that! @Mizzely idea is a great one or maybe talk to @JLcribber he makes beautiful custom stands to your specifications and with the way the Canadian dollar is it maybe cheaper to get one from him and ship to you vs a US Java.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I plan to let the volunteer mulberry trees grow a few months in my yard this summer, then pick the best branch-y one to cut down and plop into a Christmas tree holder. That might not be sturdy enough for Isadora though. I've also thought about putting branches into a cheap pot with quick set cement to hold them in place.

I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange the cages in my living room and it's not as easy as I want it to be, so I feel your pain lol