• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rodrigo & clicker training

Status
Not open for further replies.

impala400

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
I've been working with Doisy and Rodrigo is super inquisitive so I've started him too. He kept wanted to interrupt Doisy:hehe: So far, he will touch a target.
Now Rodrigo is splay legged and doesn't get around like a normal bird. Are there tricks I can teach him that don't involve legs? I'm thinking wing flapping & head nodding. I'm also trying recall training since he's fully flighted. So far, I've gotten him to fly to me quite a few times for sunflower seeds.
Here's some pics from today.
This box was close to where I was training Doisy so he was watching.

Touching the target.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
What a cutie. And smart too, already biting into the target.
I would try to get him to lift his wings. Watch him when he just lifts his wings to stretch, then click and treat. That works with my budgies..:)

Sigrid

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
you could try to get him to pick up something and drop it in your hand like a small toy or ball

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I've been working with Doisy and Rodrigo is super inquisitive so I've started him too. He kept wanted to interrupt Doisy:hehe: So far, he will touch a target.
Now Rodrigo is splay legged and doesn't get around like a normal bird. Are there tricks I can teach him that don't involve legs? I'm thinking wing flapping & head nodding. I'm also trying recall training since he's fully flighted. So far, I've gotten him to fly to me quite a few times for sunflower seeds.
Here's some pics from today.
This box was close to where I was training Doisy so he was watching.

Touching the target.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this so much. It's so great that you are doing the training with Rodrigo and looking for other things for him to learn. Does he have any platform perches? You could have him to station to those. How well does he get along? I would look for some normal behaviors that you see him do on his own to get an idea of what he is capable of and able to do and then put those on cue or build trick behaviors around those:) I love the picture of him targeting. Can I post it on my Facebook page?

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
What good suggestions! I'll wait till he's really comfortable with the targeting & then try some of these out.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this so much. It's so great that you are doing the training with Rodrigo and looking for other things for him to learn. Does he have any platform perches? You could have him to station to those. How well does he get along? I would look for some normal behaviors that you see him do on his own to get an idea of what he is capable of and able to do and then put those on cue or build trick behaviors around those:) I love the picture of him targeting. Can I post it on my Facebook page?
Sure, go ahead and use any of the pictures. I can send you a full size copy if you would prefer.
Rodrigo has a sorta penguin waddle that he uses to get around on flat surfaces. He has platform perches in his cage but, honestly, he's out of his cage more than he's in it (everyone else has better cages:D). The stationing would help me to reinforce following the target. That's how I was getting him to fly to me, by showing him the target.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
What good suggestions! I'll wait till he's really comfortable with the targeting & then try some of these out.

Sure, go ahead and use any of the pictures. I can send you a full size copy if you would prefer.
Rodrigo has a sorta penguin waddle that he uses to get around on flat surfaces. He has platform perches in his cage but, honestly, he's out of his cage more than he's in it (everyone else has better cages:D). The stationing would help me to reinforce following the target. That's how I was getting him to fly to me, by showing him the target.
If he hangs around on flat surfaces you could use something for him to station on outside of his cage, just some kind of low, platform that he can waddle over to and climb on:) Thank you for letting me share the pictures:)

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Awww look at how well he is doing :laughing12: He is such a sweetie pie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.