• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rodent pics!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Only natural. I want one too. But I think I'd have to build a large outdoor pan and I have no room. Or money. Or time left.
Research everything needed to keep one and then report back to me so I know if I can have one or not :lol:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Research everything needed to keep one and then report back to me so I know if I can have one or not :lol:

@finchly apparently they are only legal in Connecticut without a permit? But other places need permits and it isn't legal in some states?
As of 2020, only the state of Connecticut lists a "Patagonian mara" by name as being legal to own in the state.

Other states where they are legal without requiring a permit include Oregon, Alabama, Washington, and Texas. States that ban them or require permits include California, Georgia, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Hawaii. Laws do change all the time, so check with your state and local municipality to find out if it is legal to own a Patagonian cavy before you get one.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Mizzely oh she's so precious. You'd want to hold her all the time.

They can jump 6 foot fences and run 25 mph supposedly, although so far I've only seen that recited ad nauseum, and the people who own them say they'll stay in their 4 foot fence.

She makes guinea pig sounds. :rolleyes:

I have to have a class III permit, in FL to own one. But that's the same as the bird owner permit.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:wideyed: I was thinking of a capybara (which are cute, too) but this little angel is too precious! :omg: Look at that ear fluff!
I had bunnies before, actually for most of my life. Having her (and knowing she's not here long term :sad11:) is making me want a bunny again!

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca

@finchly apparently they are only legal in Connecticut without a permit? But other places need permits and it isn't legal in some states?
As of 2020, only the state of Connecticut lists a "Patagonian mara" by name as being legal to own in the state.

Other states where they are legal without requiring a permit include Oregon, Alabama, Washington, and Texas. States that ban them or require permits include California, Georgia, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Hawaii. Laws do change all the time, so check with your state and local municipality to find out if it is legal to own a Patagonian cavy before you get one.
Careful with that website, isn't that the one with a lot of the articles on this thread: https://forums.avianavenue.com/inde...maintenance-pets-article-irritates-me.252553/