• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rodent pics!

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
A thread for all the adorable pictures of our sweet whiskered rodents(or lagamorphs)!

I will start with rat pics! (Yes, unfortunately, that is a tumor.) I took all my pics outside, because my iPad's camera does WAY better in natural light.

IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0440.JPG

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cute little guy! What's his name?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:sadhug2:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Cute baby! I love rats! :xflove: :heart:

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Aww Whiskers is so cute! I love rats :xflove:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Pet rats are cute, but after a few situations in the aviary, my viewpoint on wild ones went down...

Poor guy with the tumour, hope he's alright!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Such a cutie! Sorry about the tumour.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tell us her story!
OK......
Her name is Maggie May and she was 2 weeks old on Sunday. :heart:

So I know a guy because I bought finches from him before. And he's posting all these cute piccies of the cavies (or mara, you can call them either one). I'd never seen one. I made some comment like HOW CUUUTE and he says why don't you take one. We talked back and forth -- he lives on the other side of Florida. He said well an employee is delivering a horse near you on Sunday. So I said yes. That was 10 days ago.
Since I hadn't told hubby :oops: I said we would foster her to see how it goes.

Suddenly I'm a rodent mom. She bottle feeds 3-4 times daily and nibbles hay and veggies. I set up a pen in the house (in our neighborhood you can't even park your own RV in your driveway overnight! So no exotic animals for sure, someone would complain). I also gave her a box I'd decorated for the birds -- she's crazy about it and loves to chew the toys in there.

She's really timid, something I hadn't counted on. But I pretty much treat her like an untame bird, just comfort her, let her go at her own pace but try to gently draw her out. When she can eat a little better I can use a treat and clicker train her? Maybe?

She makes little noises like a guinea pig. The dog wants to play with her in the back yard but she's having none of it. I have to keep her on a leash out there because they can run 25 mph :wideyed: and she can easily get through my fence.

Some people keep them indoors but it's becoming clear to me they're a lot better off on a farm. Plus - I'm so overwhelmed right now. Work, hubby, birds. I never get done with everything. So I probably will let her go back after she weans. But -- this is really fun.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Awww, I can't believe we only got 1 picture..
OK......
Her name is Maggie May and she was 2 weeks old on Sunday. :heart:

So I know a guy because I bought finches from him before. And he's posting all these cute piccies of the cavies (or mara, you can call them either one). I'd never seen one. I made some comment like HOW CUUUTE and he says why don't you take one. We talked back and forth -- he lives on the other side of Florida. He said well an employee is delivering a horse near you on Sunday. So I said yes. That was 10 days ago.
Since I hadn't told hubby :oops: I said we would foster her to see how it goes.

Suddenly I'm a rodent mom. She bottle feeds 3-4 times daily and nibbles hay and veggies. I set up a pen in the house (in our neighborhood you can't even park your own RV in your driveway overnight! So no exotic animals for sure, someone would complain). I also gave her a box I'd decorated for the birds -- she's crazy about it and loves to chew the toys in there.

She's really timid, something I hadn't counted on. But I pretty much treat her like an untame bird, just comfort her, let her go at her own pace but try to gently draw her out. When she can eat a little better I can use a treat and clicker train her? Maybe?

She makes little noises like a guinea pig. The dog wants to play with her in the back yard but she's having none of it. I have to keep her on a leash out there because they can run 25 mph :wideyed: and she can easily get through my fence.

Some people keep them indoors but it's becoming clear to me they're a lot better off on a farm. Plus - I'm so overwhelmed right now. Work, hubby, birds. I never get done with everything. So I probably will let her go back after she weans. But -- this is really fun.