• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rocket Has Gout. Suggestions Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road
Thank you all! And thank you for the link, I have already read it, but I read it again lol. She did call, I love this vet! She knows so much and is kind and answers al my questions with answers that make sense. His uric acid levels were very high. :( Now we're waiting on the last test which should come tomorrow and then she will fax Rockets prescription of Allpurinol to my pharmacy.

I have wrote a very strongly worded letter to his former vet with the help of two great friends. :) It probably won't do much, but it is something I need to do. They wronged him so many ways! NO pain meds and it's a simple aspirin mixture! He is playing so much more today already! :)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
That is GREAT he is doing better!

Honestly, I've heard bad things about Kaytee Hand feeding formula. My friend used it and she had an extreme cause of failure to thrive. She switched hand feeding formulas, and they started popping feathers and everything!
I'll see if she'll let me post that over here, I found it quite interesting.

Teasha

Thanks guys. :) I'm trying! Lol. I've heard both sides with the Kaytee, but have learned some things I did not know before. Such as birds can only tolerate 20% protein. Kaytee has 22% protein! And I was giving him some instant ounces for a while too to keep his weight up so that adds MORE protein! I would have thought Kaytee was safe since it was made for hand feeding but was obviously wrong. I wish I had known so he did not have to go through this. Well that is IF that is what is causing the gout. If he still has it after he's weaned and off meds then it wasn't the food, then it is probably genetics. I'm hoping it is the food tho because his prognosis is much better. I will never use Kaytee again.

This little man has a will to live! He has almost died twice and now this. He has put up with sooo much in his short little life! He is well worth all the work. :)

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Keep up the great work, Teasha! You are Rocket's angel. :heart:

Teasha

Vet faxed the prescription to my pharmacy early since it looks like gout. The last test will say it is, we all know that. He had his first dose of allpurinol not long ago. I have to be sure he gets 2 teaspoons of water with it. Not too hard since he is being hand fed. I am hoping he can perch at least when this is all done. It is one of my hopes. I also am hoping it is from the Kaytee and not genetic because then his life expectancy is much longer.

Am I the only one who gets wierd looks when I tell people it's for a bird? I doubt it. Lol. They thought at first it was for a dog. And I said no a bird. They all know I work at the shelter tho and love animals. Can't wait for him to get better! :D After his deposits are gone we go back for another blood test to see where his uric acid levels are at. I feel so good about this vet. :D

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Glad things are better and that you like the vet. Now we need some updated pictures of your little angel:D

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so glad things are working to better with this vet :) Hopefully the medication will get him feeling much better :)

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
These stories about kaytee formula makes me wonder if this is the cause of Breeze's problems. The vet doesn't know why some of his toenails are only a quarter inch long and never grow at all. He has some problems with feather growth too. It does make me wonder.

Teasha

These stories about kaytee formula makes me wonder if this is the cause of Breeze's problems. The vet doesn't know why some of his toenails are only a quarter inch long and never grow at all. He has some problems with feather growth too. It does make me wonder.
How old is he?

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Vet faxed the prescription to my pharmacy early since it looks like gout. The last test will say it is, we all know that. He had his first dose of allpurinol not long ago. I have to be sure he gets 2 teaspoons of water with it. Not too hard since he is being hand fed. I am hoping he can perch at least when this is all done. It is one of my hopes. I also am hoping it is from the Kaytee and not genetic because then his life expectancy is much longer.

Am I the only one who gets wierd looks when I tell people it's for a bird? I doubt it. Lol. They thought at first it was for a dog. And I said no a bird. They all know I work at the shelter tho and love animals. Can't wait for him to get better! :D After his deposits are gone we go back for another blood test to see where his uric acid levels are at. I feel so good about this vet. :D
You are doing such a wonderful job with that little man, Teasha! :heart::heart:

Teasha

I can get some in the next few days. :)

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How's the little guy doing? Any improvement with the allopurinol?

Teasha

He will be one year old on June 1st.
If it was gout you would see it in his feet. That is the number one sign. There are other diseases to look at too like french molt. But that only affects the feathers. I don't know if the short toe nails and feather growth are because of one problem or not. Has your vet tried doing any blood panels or testing for certain diseases? I'm not an expert on disease but thought it was something for you to consider.

@rockybird, he has only been on the meds a few days. I haven't noticed any huge changes. I'm hoping he can have some use of his feet, but time will tell. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Great Job Teasha