• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rocket Has Gout. Suggestions Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road
My post was lost with the transfer of the forum. I took Rocket in because he was limping on his right foot. She did a physical and he was a bit under weight and she thought he had a metabolic problem or a couple other things. We decided I would come back and have some tests done. In that time Rockets feet started showing obvious signs of gout so I called and asked the tophi be tested which she agreed to.

So I went back yesterday and the vet had the day off a vet tech was there to do the tests. Except the vet never told her about checking for uric acid in the tophi so she didn't do it and I didn't insist. I should have but I didn't. So she took his blood and did laser therapy. She ran the test on the blood which was normal and showed no unusual levels of uric acid. He did show to be a bit dehydrated. She talked to the vet who then mentioned the testing of the tophi so we now have an appointment for Thursday to test to verify it is gout. I have a long list of questions to ask too.

This is why I worried and took him in.

This is what his feet look like now and show obvious signs of gout. The red is where the tophi are and the blue is where new ones are developing.

From everything I read the outcome doesn't sound so good. He will need a special cage for disabled birds and will likely end up in lots of pain :( and may have to be euthanized. I have read about a few different meds to try and holistic things to use to. I've read many different things about how it is caused and treatments etc. I'm just researching now to know what I have to deal with. Thursday I will see what meds etc I should use. None or very little of the uric acid appears to be leaving his body property as there is no urine in his poops.

I am quite sad about it, little man has come so far and it makes me sad to think what may happen. I KNOW to take it a day at a time, but when I read how painful it is it makes me wonder if letting him live is the right thing to do. There have been a few case where it has disappeared and although that is rare I am so hopeful.

Things I have been doing to help him is trying to get more water in him, I am gradually changing him from Kaytee to Harrisons Mash the vet gave me and I am trying to actually wean him lol. He REFUSES to try seeds or millet on the floor or in the bowl. The closest I have come is he will take it from my fingers so it's a start. I do compresses and physical therapy on his feet as well. I feel it doesn't help much but it does loosen his feet so hopefully it will eventually. It must make his sore feet feel so good...

I have also made him a safe place to exercise, it's just a low tote that you can put under your bed but it's a smaller one. With the lid off lol. I'm trying to make easy places for him to climb up onto without hurting himself. Exercise is key what the sites are saying but he doesn't more around a whole lot. I can't be around him all the time how am I suppose to get him to move around when he is sore and stiff and doesn't want to?

Have you had a bird with gout? Thoughts? Suggestions?

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
I am so sorry to hear about Rocket I have never heard of a bird having gout but in humans it is caused from diet, but in humans it is mostly shell fish that cause it, I hope someone comes along that can help you :hug8:

ThatDarnBird

I think Braveheartdogs had an amazon with gout. I'm sorry I don't have any advice. I hope they are able to help Rocket. Poor little guy.:(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Padded perches like the wire ones covered with rope. Padded platforms as well. Did the vet give an anti-inflammatory? NSAIDs are usually used with gout. Warm soaks are good if the bird will tolerate it.

Sorry to hear about Rocket.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My old budgie Miracle had gout. I put her in a special cage with padded platforms and ramps and lots of fleece. He needs to be on a low protein diet. No pellets! I fed Miracle sprouted seeds and veggies with a very small amount of dry seeds. Also cherry and cranberry juice is suposed to help. The vet can also give you a pain med like metacam. Miracle lived several months with gout but there came a point where she was in a lot of pain. She was hardly moving around at all and slept all the time. I had her euthanized when I thought she had no quality of life.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I don't know anything about gout in birds, and very little about gout in people.

My stepfather has gout. He takes medication, and with carefully watching his diet and plenty of exercise, he has it under control.

I hope the vet has some good advice for you and Rocket, and he can lead a comfortable life.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
With gout they need to be hydrated so encourage fluid intake. Next, protein level may need to be upped just a little. I know dietary things are hard to change but it is worth trying.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, many times gout can be controlled other times not. I know several owners that have to control uric acid levels in there birds with the medication
allopurinol
and diet changes. Your avian vet should have suggestions for medications.

Avian gout

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Gout is caused by too much protein for the kidneys. Protein should not be upped, it should be lowered.

Teasha

Thanks guys for your support, this is hard. He is a baby I am handfeeding and is being a turkey weaning wise. Also he is refusing food at the moment. Sometimes he refuses to eat unless he is on his warn bed. He never did this before, but even with the warm bed he won't eat and force feeding is no fun. But if he doesn't eat soon... Well he's already thin...

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
  1. pain."
  2. Herbal Anti-Inflammatories ... Grape Seeds / Grape Seed Extract ... Pumpkin Seeds ... Yogurt ... Dandelion
  3. Cayenne: An overall digestive aid containing liberal amounts of Vitamins A, C, B-complex, calcium, phosphorous and iron. It is anti-inflammatory and helps arthritic conditions. Parrots love the taste of cayenne and will try new and unfamiliar foods, such as sprouts, when you sprinkle on this healthful herb.
Herbs for Your Uric Acid Level

Gout is a painful disease that results from the increased uric acid level in the body. The excess uric acid forms sharp crystals in the fluids surrounding the joints which cause painful attacks. The primary aim in relieving gout and painful attacks is to control the uric acid in its normal levels. The following herbs for gout will be helpful to control uric acid:
Celery seed (Apium graveolens) – helps the kidneys dispose uric acid crystals and other unwanted waste products. It also helps neutralize the acidity of the body.
Guaiacum- a natural diuretic that speeds up the elimination of toxins and excess uric acid, which makes it valuable for treating gout. This type of herbs for gout is popular in Europe, especially in Britain, to help relieve arthritic and rheumatic conditions.
Cherry- said to be an old folk remedy for gout because cherries are very rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids can reduce the levels of uric acid in the body, which makes them excellent supplemental herbs for gout. You can use the extract of the cherry fruits which are available at health-food stores and supermarkets. Take ½ cup of cherry extracts each day.
Blueberry- is an excellent substitute if cherries are unavailable. Blueberry juice also has significant amounts of flavonoids which can facilitate excretion of uric acid.
Vitamin C rich herbs- Uric acid can be released from the tissues via the urine. Vitamin C can substantially increase the kidney’s rate of excretion making it faster for uric acid to go out of the body.
Nettle- can be used topically or taken orally. You may take nettle capsules to help eliminate and clear out excess uric acid from the tissue spaces. You can also make a tea out of nettle and use it for the hot compress over the inflamed joints and tissues.
Parsley – an herb that can act as a natural diuretic which can help kidneys move out the excess uric acid. You can make a tea with both fresh and dried leaves of parsley or eat it fresh.
Herbs for Inflammation and Pain

Flaxseed – The oil of flaxeed reduces the production of leukotrienes which are involved in the inflammatory reaction during an attack of gout. Decreased leukotrienes will help reduce the severity of inflammation brought about by gout.
Pineapple – This type of herbs for gout is rich in the natural enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties and can also help alleviate the pain that comes along with a gout attack.
Hawthorn – is one of the herbs for gout that act like NSAIDs. This herb is filled with anthocyanosides that produce anti-inflammatory effects. Hawthorn also contains flavonoids which can cure other gout symptoms.
Other Helpful Herbs for Gout

Garlic – the miracle healer! Garlic has natural healing properties for several illnesses and one of them is gout. You can eat 3-5 cloves of garlic a day to improve your overall health and more likely improve gout symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Min

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melinda
I'm so sorry about Rocket having gout. He's so young to have that. I have a conure with gout, but she's over 30 years old and it's age related. She is on a medication, allopurinol for her kidneys. When kidneys are being treated, it can put stress on the liver, so she also is taking lactulose for liver. We give her pain meds as needed. She will need the meds for the rest of her life. Fruits with a lot of water content are good, especially pomegranite. Celery and cherry also good. Low protein. My vet also recommended flax oil. I'm sure you will care for him as well as you can.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Gout is caused by too much protein for the kidneys. Protein should not be upped, it should be lowered.
If the animal is taking protein poorly the protein is upped a little. Now, if there is too much protein, which most birds do not take, then protein should be lowered.

Teasha

He refuses to eat what do I do?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can you call the vet? Can they start him on allopurinol or colchicine? He is a baby, and this sounds like an inborn error of metabolism. I think if the meds dont work, it does not look good for him. I am very sorry. I might take the leg band off in case he has any developing tophi under it that are painful. I would definitely call the vet ASAP.

Teasha

Yes I was going to have it removed on thursday. She hasn't tried any meds yet, she talked about something that's used on cats. I forgot the name. How much apple cider?

Status
Not open for further replies.