• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rocket Has Gout. Suggestions Wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My WFA Merlin had gout. He had very high uric acid levels and one foot did not grip or hold properly. He was medicated with allopurinol (not sure if I spelled that right) and it brought the uric acid levels way down. He was also on a diet that had a lot of fruits so he would get a lot of water. He preferred rope perches and all but one of his perches in his cage were rope because that seemed to be most comfortable for his feet. After the diagnosis he did really well and lived for another year and a half. He was about 35 years and had spent 18 years prior to me getting him in a tiny cage, never coming out and only being fed seed. Merlin passed away last August.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
If I remember correctly they actually wanted him to not have a lot of protein in his diet with the gout but encouraged a lot of watery foods.

With gout they need to be hydrated so encourage fluid intake. Next, protein level may need to be upped just a little. I know dietary things are hard to change but it is worth trying.

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road
If I remember correctly they actually wanted him to not have a lot of protein in his diet with the gout but encouraged a lot of watery foods.
Oh that is so sad 18 years in a tiny cage. :( I am sorry.

Well I called down to the cities. The vet told me that the Welactin would be ok. But she is suprised the vet did not give fluids subq. She also said since he is a baby his prognosis is poor. And in so many words told me to think about his well being. It concerns her that he has gout at this age and is probably in kidney failure. And he was probably born with it and that it's not the formula. Each day I get more info I am more confused...

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I'm so sorry to hear you and Rocket are going through this. I don't have any experience with gout, but if you're trying to get him to drink more water, have you thought about soaking his seeds in water? He may be able to get a little extra water in him that way?
Good luck. I'll keep you and little Rocket in my prayers. :hug8:

Teasha

I'm so sorry to hear you and Rocket are going through this. I don't have any experience with gout, but if you're trying to get him to drink more water, have you thought about soaking his seeds in water? He may be able to get a little extra water in him that way?
Good luck. I'll keep you and little Rocket in my prayers. :hug8:
He is only nibbling on seeds now so it won't make much of a difference. He is just starting to wean. Thank you for your support! :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sure you know but I would not stop handfeeding right now. I would offer at least three feedings a day. The more water the better. You could also make them a bit thinner if you are worried about the water. I think you can also add the black cherry juice in the formula if he will take it. Your you and your vet need to decide how you are going to treat him if that is your plan. Youngsters with gout have little time before it is to late.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Teasha--I'm so sorry to read about your beautiful little Rocket's health problems. I hope you can find a vet you trust to care for him. If I might offer a small suggestion - I would not feed Rocket any canned or jarred cherries, as they contain way more sugar than is recommended, which in itself is dangerous for young birds, & no, I would NOT give him high-protein formula, as his system is already stressed enough. I would give only normal protein % for babies his age. (a case where 'less is more.') I think in Rocket's case the only excess of anything needed by him at this time is love, & I think he's already getting that from you! Could you mention where you live (city), & maybe someone knows of a vet that is experienced in treating this disorder that you would feel more confidence in?:hug8::heart::hug8:

Last edited:

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
Healing energy coming too you from Betty and I :heart::heart::heart: I cant imagine what your going through but im sure your doing everything right for your little Rocket....he sounds like a fighter and as long as he is giving the good fight stay strong and trust your gut instinct as Parronts thats the most useful tool we have!! :hug8:to you and know that we are here for you anytime :heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How is Rocket doing? Did the vet suggest anything new?

Teasha

I will continue to hand feed as long as necessary, he is not close to being weaned. Thank you for the suggestions, I do appreciate them a lot! He shows little interest in seeds and eats millet some a couple times a day. I live in MN but won't post my city. There are only a handful of vets in MN. I talked to one in the cities and she sounded pessimistic. I just have to keep chugging along and hope he will be ok.

Today they did laser therapy on both feet. They took a sample of the tophie to verify gout and will call tomorrow. I had them take his band off just in case his leg swelled up.

She said his feet look better. I told her I had drained one of his tophi, it was sooo big and looked painful. That is why it looked better.

I also asked about giving fluids subq since the vet from the cities had mentioned it and they gave him 2cc. Why did I have to ask!

I had to ASK for his medication, I mean supplement that will take 2 weeks - 6 weeks to work.
It seemed like she was going to send me on my way without it. After thinking about it, 2-6 weeks is sooo long to wait for something to work and be in pain at the same time. When she calls I am requesting her to give him the med everyone is suggesting...

Went to Petsmart and bought a few things for Rockets cage. I have it all set up now, it's pretty basic but will do for now. I think it looks safe to me, but let me know if you see anything unsafe. He is so clumsy, it will take him a few falls I think to learn to balance. Maybe I shouldn't even have him in it, his falling scares me...

Well here it is...

He is such a sweetheart.

He loves this thing.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I love that little bed, too! It looks so comfy & cosy, he can sort of lean on the side, & take some weight off his little feetsies. :heart:

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
AAAWWW.........he is so cute, especially in his little bed. I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon..................:hug8:

Teasha

Well I did some calling around to find another vet and the one is in the same city as my current vet didn't want me.
When I explained my situation they told me I should go to the cities.
I called down there and came across one, the receptionist was rude and I thought oh boy! But the vet was supeeeer nice! She said to get him off the Kaytee as she has heard of problems with it. She knew about gout and it was easy to tell she has dealt with it. She also knew the appropriate meds he should be on AND that he should be on pain medication! I am stoked!
Also after he is on a treatment plan his meds can be mailed to me!

Only bad part is they are 2.5 hours away and I am notorious for dozing off. I need a plan to keep awake.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Whatever you have to do girl. Take some 5 hour energy and stop for coffee. I drive that far for my vet. You have to do what you have to do. :D

Great news!!!! How is he doing?

Teasha

I am flabbergasted!

My current vet called and said there were NO uric acid crystals in the sample they took! It is bacteria! Hmm how did that get there? Anyway they said he has an infection. HALLELUIAH!!!

I am so happy I could cry! NO GOUT NO GOUT NO GOUT!

I am so happy beyond words! They are calling in a prescription to my pharmacy as we speak for antibiotics. I might have to send them a card, oh boy happy day! Happiest day of my life woo hoo!

I am keeping my Monday appointment just in case!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad your vet has determined Rocket's problem and he is on his way to getting better! :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Happy to hear the latest good news for your little Rocket. Wishing you the very best for this little one. I hope the antibiotics clear up his infection and he is on his way to a complete recovery.:hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:yah::yah: That IS great news! :yah::yah:

Now slow down on your reading, that is why we are not vets. :lol:

Teasha

:yah::yah: That IS great news! :yah::yah:

Now slow down on your reading, that is why we are not vets. :lol:
Lol I know :) I work with animals at a shelter and always look stuff up it's habit. I want to know as much as possible to help them. The vet had to scare me lol. I was convinced it was gout and the vet seemed like she was too. *sigh of relief*

Status
Not open for further replies.