• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Robin with broken leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My kids found an injured robin. It looks like a broken leg, high up. Any advice? Where can I bring it? etc. Have it in a dark box with a towel.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
If you can't get it to a vet or wildlife facility, you can try to put a splint on it. Cut two Q-tips to size and tape it to either side of the leg. And keep it warm.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
If you can't get it to a vet or wildlife facility, you can try to put a splint on it. Cut two Q-tips to size and tape it to either side of the leg. And keep it warm.
It seems like the leg is broken very high up maybe like a dislocated hip. How would I splint that. I don't want my kids freaked out.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Do you have an Avian vet? If nothing else you could call them and ask for advice :)

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I felt all the way up the leg but it doesn't appear broken. Could it be dislocated? Paralyzed? Tried to give it water with syringe, didn't work. Put a small bowl of seed, towel and have it in a box for the night. Any other suggestions?

birdman78

Real Name
John
I felt all the way up the leg but it doesn't appear broken. Could it be dislocated? Paralyzed? Tried to give it water with syringe, didn't work. Put a small bowl of seed, towel and have it in a box for the night. Any other suggestions?
I think your doing a great job. Keep up the good work. Your being a great mommy. :hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I had the scissors, vet wrap, Q-tips all at the ready, my son toweling so I could apply splint but could not find the break. It had some feathers missing on its tail on the injured side and a small patch of what looked like road rash on the side of the rump? next to the tail on the injured side. If it survives the night I will bring it to wildlife facility in am. Do they usually take wild birds like Robins? I know they will take a bird of prey but not sure about a regular song bird. Does anyone know?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Robins are not seed eaters they eat bugs and worms. You can also mash a hard boiled egg yolk until the consistancy of yogurt and try that on a stick.

Can you wash the bare area? It may have been attacked by a cat.

Ginger

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Robins are not seed eaters they eat bugs and worms. You can also mash a hard boiled egg yolk until the consistancy of yogurt and try that on a stick.

Can you wash the bare area? It may have been attacked by a cat.

Ginger
Thank you Ginger. Of course you're correct. With all the excitement I wasn't thinking. I sent my son in search of earth worms and the robin ate one. She refused another and I don't want to disturb it too much so I didn't clean it. At least it ate one earth worm so thats a good sign, right?

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you Ginger. Of course you're correct. With all the excitement I wasn't thinking. I sent my son in search of earth worms and the robin ate one. She refused another and I don't want to disturb it too much so I didn't clean it. At least it ate one earth worm so thats a good sign, right?
:hehe::hehe:I just looked to my left and noticed two worms crawling across my kitchen island. I guess my son thought if he wrapped the extra worms in a paper towel they would just hunker down for the night and wait to be fed to the bird:hehe::hehe:Life with boys...

birdman78

Real Name
John
:hehe::hehe:I just looked to my left and noticed two worms crawling across my kitchen island. I guess my son thought if he wrapped the extra worms in a paper towel they would just hunker down for the night and wait to be fed to the bird:hehe::hehe:Life with boys...
:hehe: That's funny

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
keepthe robin warm definitely...and provide a small dish of water nearby..

jaytee

Jogging around the block
I think your doing great. Boys and kitchen counters, well, we were them once. Try to find some source of warmth. If nothing else, a light. Got a heating pad? Set it on low, cover with towel, place about a third of the box on the pad. The bird can move to warm, or cool as needed.
for saving the little guy.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I brought the robin to Tufts Wildlife rehab this morning. Thanks for all your help.:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Glad to hear you were able to find a rehab place to bring him too

Status
Not open for further replies.