• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roaches in bedroom! Help me find a similar cage w/ horizontal bars pls

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi all,
TDL: I need to get rid of roaches and am looking for new appropriate day cage ($100-250 w/ horizontal bars), to do all feedings and keep away from bedroom

I’m having the worst nightmare rn! I’ve started to redecorate my room recently and purchased a new zinus bed and mattress (both from Wayfair). I’ve had my bird sleeping in my room since I got her in February. I have now seen 2 roaches in a week in my room around my headboard and am unsure if it’s due to my bird or maybe the bed or mattress had eggs.

I used to vacuum every day with old room set up but now she’s only ever in there to sleep and spends most of the day flying around the house or with me in a cage in different rooms of the house. I clean her cage thoroughly with a toothbrush and soap and swap out bedding and water every night. I do leave her pellets in the cage overnight so she can eat when she wakes up but that hadn’t been a problem in the months so far. I never ever eat in there and she hardly ever does either, as I usually let her out to play when we wake up.

An arkin exterminator comes to the house every month or so but I hadn’t been letting them do my room in order to keep a safe place for her but this is horrendous!!! I’m worried about what the roaches are doing in my bed while I sleep!! I live in FL and these roaches are hugeeee! I haven’t been able to catch either one.

I think it’s definitely time to invest in a second cage to keep in a different part of the house for feedings. Might even be a good idea to just let her sleep in it, though I don’t like the thought that roaches might be swarming all over her while I’m sleeping either. I like this A&E one but it has few horizontal bars. Please someone rec something similar at a similar price point for my little monkey. A&E CAGE COMPANY Flight Bird Cage & Stand, Black - Chewy.com

thanks for reading!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I would remove the new bed and contact Wayfair. If the bed or parts of it are infested I would get rid of it asap to prevent further infestation of your home. Buy some food grade diatomaceous earth to put down all over your room. It is a powdery material so remove your bird from the area while you are putting it down. You don't have to have food in your room for roaches to survive they will literally eat glue and other substances or migrate to the kitchen for food.

How to Apply Diatomaceous Earth for Cockroaches

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I like this A&E one but it has few horizontal bars.
One of my floor cages is very similar to that and the pair in it don't have any trouble maneouvering around the cage. They can climb the walls perfectly.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I would remove the new bed and contact Wayfair. If the bed or parts of it are infested I would get rid of it asap to prevent further infestation of your home. Buy some food grade diatomaceous earth to put down all over your room. It is a powdery material so remove your bird from the area while you are putting it down. You don't have to have food in your room for roaches to survive they will literally eat glue and other substances or migrate to the kitchen for food.

How to Apply Diatomaceous Earth for Cockroaches
You think this is necessary even if I don’t know they’re coming from the bed? It’s completely possible but I didn’t notice anything while building it. The house, in FL, was always prone to roaches until we started fumigating, at which point the roach problem stopped. Only now, 3 months into having the bird, a couple months after stopping fumigation in my room specifically, and maybe 1 month or less into having the bed, am I seeing the roaches in my room.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
It is spring and roaches and gnats become a problem. We got rid of roaches in our Texas home last year and they are back. Turn on the porch light outside and they scatter. I picked up a garbage can lid off they ground and there was was nest of them. YUCK!

we are exterminating the outside of the house, placing bait in the cabinets and roach motels around the perimeter of the rooms that the birds are in. Last year, that took care of the suckers.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If your not positive they came from the bed then no I wouldn’t toss it. If they have come back after you stopped fumigating you could start again to get rid of them. The diatomaceous earth will get rid of them as well but not as quickly. You could fumigate then put down DE as a preventative.