• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roaches in apartment - HELP

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
Guys, I'm losing it. I first saw one in January and bought some roach motels, it seemed to be working and I had only seen them at night. Last night, I get home from work and I found a roach in the living room as well as in the kitchen, and a baby one! They were only in the kitchen previously! Just now, I found one in the kitchen, IN THE DAYTIME! I've been in this apartment for two years and never had seen any until Jan. I don't know how they got into my place, but I've read that if the neighbors have issues with them, and don't get control of it, even if I get mine sprayed they'll just come back. Neptune's cage is in my room, and I haven't seen any in here but it has me so paranoid. I can't afford to move to another apartment with all of the fees, I can barely afford staying at a motel with him for a few nights until it's under control if I get the apartment managers involved. If they come in and spray, do they hit every room? What would I do with his cage? It's huge, heavy, and I live upstairs. I have some diatomaceous earth, food grade, but I've read conflicting statements on its safety around birds since it kicks up dust. I don't know what to do. My apartment is clean, how did they even get in here? :(

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
+1 to what Matthew said. Put down the food grade diatomaceous earth. It is a powdery type of material so take Neptune out while you put it down. It will kill most bugs. We use it at work and I use it in the garden as well.

How to Apply Diatomaceous Earth for Cockroaches

Joyce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joyce
Guys, I'm losing it. I first saw one in January and bought some roach motels, it seemed to be working and I had only seen them at night. Last night, I get home from work and I found a roach in the living room as well as in the kitchen, and a baby one! They were only in the kitchen previously! Just now, I found one in the kitchen, IN THE DAYTIME! I've been in this apartment for two years and never had seen any until Jan. I don't know how they got into my place, but I've read that if the neighbors have issues with them, and don't get control of it, even if I get mine sprayed they'll just come back. Neptune's cage is in my room, and I haven't seen any in here but it has me so paranoid. I can't afford to move to another apartment with all of the fees, I can barely afford staying at a motel with him for a few nights until it's under control if I get the apartment managers involved. If they come in and spray, do they hit every room? What would I do with his cage? It's huge, heavy, and I live upstairs. I have some diatomaceous earth, food grade, but I've read conflicting statements on its safety around birds since it kicks up dust. I don't know what to do. My apartment is clean, how did they even get in here? :(
Unfortunately with cockroaches they have to treat the entire building to get rid of them. Otherwise they just go to an area in the building that is safe and then come back later. They usually start in one apartment and spread out through the whole building.

Winn

Jogging around the block
A relative had a german cockroach problem. Combat roach control traps helped.
This was a house, not an apartment, so I don't know if it would help in your case.. and you would have to make sure Neptune had NO access to them..

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
Thanks guys! I’ve figured out a plan that I’m hoping will keep them away until I can find something better. Vacuuming every couple days, more roach motels, diatomaceous earth behind the fridge and corners, and also bought advion for under the counter edges.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Question: the plug in deterrents that emit sound waves we cannot hear, do they bother birds?

Winn

Jogging around the block
Question: the plug in deterrents that emit sound waves we cannot hear, do they bother birds?
I don't know whether or not they bother birds but some studies claim they don't do much to deter roaches either.

(They may or may not have been re-designed to be more effective since those studies were done.)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I live in the subtropics and it is basically impossible to be roach free. I clean often and it helps dissuade them, l also use lots of over the top storage containers the vacuum lid kind. They don't seem able to bust into those. You can also bleach out your rubbish bin between bags to make it less attractive to them. I take the rubbish daily. They are obviously very hard to beat, they can eat so many things and hide everywhere. But if they don't have food they will move eslewhere. I rarely see roaches daily. But they are definitely in waiting and if I don't stay on top of everything daily one is spotted.

I like the idea of the diatomaceous earth in strategic places. I may need to try that.