• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roach Problem

nastya778

Moving in
My little guy is a Green Cheek Conure. We have a small roach problem. We even moved to a new apartment but his cage still seems to attract them. Feels like we can never out run them.

They show up only at night in his cage and mainly go for the water. No where else in the apartment to they have access to water the way they do here. I thought about changing to a water bottle for him, but he likes to soak his food so bottle isn’t an option. I clean the cage daily, but that isn’t enough.

My question is can i take away his water and food over night for about 7-8 hours, will that be okay?

If you have any other advice please let me know!! Thank you in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You likely have them breeding inside the bars of the cage. There are a few threads regarding the same problems for other members. Here is one that might have some helpful tips I don’t know what to do .

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since he is unlikely to eat at night, you could switch the water dish out for a bottle just for overnight. And yeah, I hate roaches with a passion! There are a lot of good ideas in the thread that Shezbug linked above.

Also, one thing that people do to discourage roaches from drinking out of toilets is to put a coat of petroleum jelly (aka vaseline) around the side of the toilet bowl...apparently they can't walk through that. You might be able to put it on the legs of the cage to keep them from crawling up? :shrug:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Sorry, I can’t help, but here is an emoji for you: :bedbug:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have a small roach problem. We even moved to a new apartment but his cage still seems to attract them. Feels like we can never out run them.
Sounds like they are in the cage. I have heard you can flush the out of the hollows of a cage by submersing the cage in water.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
How often do you clean the cage? Sorry to hear your having problems.