• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Ripley's Expensive Hobby

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
The joy of owning multiple birds that fly around the house. :laugh: If one doesn't eat it someone will come along in the day and finish it for them.
I was thinking this too. Sometimes I give the leftovers to somebirdie who appreciates them more.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does he like egg? Or chopped vegetables?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Would wrapping them in paper or crumpled paper cups slow him down a bit? At least it might take him longer to finish one off. Also possibly giving fewer might make him savor what he has more.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Would wrapping them in paper or crumpled paper cups slow him down a bit? At least it might take him longer to finish one off. Also possibly giving fewer might make him savor what he has more.
I usually give him them in foragers but have been trying to get weight on him so was giving him a handful before bed. I can always hear a lot of bits falling after he gets it out of a toy but didn't have a true sense of how much he was eating without the bowl.

Does he like egg? Or chopped vegetables?
The only foods he'll consistently eat are Zupreem Fruity, almonds, sunflower seeds, and safflower seeds. Everything else is hit or miss. He's never eaten eggs, and veggies he'll investigate but it depends on his mood what he'll actually eat.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have you ever tried vegetable pastas? I like Cybele's and usually find it at Kroger grocery store. Worth a try and if he doesn't like it feed it to the kids! I add it cooked but chopped in my cooked mix so they can't pick it out and waste it. I see Amazon carries it too but it's way more expensive.

If you just want to try a few this company offers free shipping on your first order of 25.00... or find it locally.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes he refuses to touch all pasta, dry or cooked.

He is my super picky bird! Trust me, I try things ALL the time with him! It took him 2 years to eat any veggies!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes he refuses to touch all pasta, dry or cooked.

He is my super picky bird! Trust me, I try things ALL the time with him! It took him 2 years to eat any veggies!
Boy.. what a fussy little bugger! One day, out of the blue he'll try and like something new. I tried the senior nutriberries with mine to see if they would eat them... especially since so many people feed them. Nope. Finally, recently.. Henry decided he would eat one. Lola is still on the fence about them. The littles didn't have any interest. Nobody likes quinoa either... ooo...ech.. what the heckizat!!!? Silly birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Boy.. what a fussy little bugger! One day, out of the blue he'll try and like something new. I tried the senior nutriberries with mine to see if they would eat them... especially since so many people feed them. Nope. Finally, recently.. Henry decided he would eat one. Lola is still on the fence about them. The littles didn't have any interest. Nobody likes quinoa either... ooo...ech.. what the heckizat!!!? Silly birds.
Quinoa is one thing he does seem to like and he does eat that more often than not :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Quinoa is one thing he does seem to like and he does eat that more often than not :)
I have hidden quinoa in a mix I make... finely shredded sweet carrots, sweet potato, butternut or acorn squash, and enough very fine shredded apple steamed or cooked until soft in a microwave ( glass dish covered... made one mistake with plastic wrap as a cover and it melted... threw it all away). I love my little food processor. Add in the cooked quinoa and none of them know they're eating it. By itself... it's a no go. They do like cooked kamut without extras.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only foods he'll consistently eat are Zupreem Fruity, almonds, sunflower seeds, and safflower seeds.
How about doing a coarse blend of all of them and mix them with the leftovers - might nibble on it then.
Or do a fine blend of all and mix with water/juice/honey then put on low in oven till dry?

Yours at least eats more of the nutriberries then mine. :confused: Casey ignores them completely.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The forager may be the reason he's unable to consume it well. Best sdy will not touch a cupcake liner or foot a small chunk..... Have you tried just placing it in a small coop cup cut into 1/4 or 1/2 chunks?

Buddy will not eat birdy bread unless it's in his mini coop cup which I zip tie to his large & small cages.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The forager may be the reason he's unable to consume it well. Best sdy will not touch a cupcake liner or foot a small chunk..... Have you tried just placing it in a small coop cup cut into 1/4 or 1/2 chunks?

Buddy will not eat birdy bread unless it's in his mini coop cup which I zip tie to his large & small cages.
I've been giving them to him in the bowl pictured to try and get him to eat more as I thought the Foragers may be making him drop too much. He simply won't eat more of them even if I leave the bowl and not give him more nutriberries for a few days.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooops, Sorry this was a few days ago I forgot you posted the bowls! I shoulda looked bk. Duh, Senior moment or stupudity on my part or something....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ooops, Sorry this was a few days ago I forgot you posted the bowls! I shoulda looked bk. Duh, Senior moment or stupudity on my part or something....
No apology necessary, I appreciate you trying to help :)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I have such poor luck with him with bird bread. I've even tried to share sweet breads like banana and pumpkin loafs and he's not interested!
SOMETIMES... It does take awhile! Try smaller pieces...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
SOMETIMES... It does take awhile! Try smaller pieces...
I've been trying for 2.5 years :p So far the only one he'll eat is Avian Organics Hawaiian Macadamia. I've tried big pieces, small pieces, crumbles... I'm not a Picky Parrot Rookie :lol: I have had only one bird eat everything I gave her! Ripley is just the most stubborn ;)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I've been trying for 2.5 years :p So far the only one he'll eat is Avian Organics Hawaiian Macadamia. I've tried big pieces, small pieces, crumbles... I'm not a Picky Parrot Rookie :lol: I have had only one bird eat everything I gave her! Ripley is just the most stubborn ;)
LAUGHTER... in the accepted REALITY is the only AVAILABLE future... HANG IN THERE! :lol: