• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RIP Koko (Mid 2011- 4/26/2019 1:11 AM)

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand

Koko was a SWEET little man who loved to chatter all day & play. He was so gentle.
My SWEET SWEET Koko Bear (blue on his chest) died this morning at 1:11 AM on my chest, thank God I was with him.
He'd been slowing down a bit the last year or so & my husband told me that he's stayed at the bottom of his cage all day yesterday when I was at work.
I came home from work, put my PJ's on & went in the spare room with him on my chest & a faux fur scarf wrapped around my neck for him to cuddle in, and keep in his body heat. He passed at 1:11 AM

I'm off work today, so I put Koko back in the Budgie cage on a cloth, on the floor, so Skylar could learn that Koko had no more strength (life), I didn't want Skylar to think Koko was lost somewhere or that I took him.
.. If you have more than 1 budgie, you know they call & look for each other when one flys out of the room.

Koko promptly went to the floor of the cage & over to Koko, he talked to him a LOT & nudged him a little & touched Koko's feathers with his beak. Now he is back on a perch just to the side of Koko, just looking at him & talking. I am glad I let Skylar say bye to his best mate.

Tonight we will bury Koko in a planter in our house :( I feel very sad. I have a million pix, but I'm not gonna bother trying to turn on every laptop or go thru all my memory sticks. tonight I will spend time with Koko, Skylar & Marley my green cheek conure.
thank you for letting me share this with all of you.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm so sorry that your sweet Koko is gone. :sadhug: I'm glad you got to spend his last hours together.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I am so very sorry. He was a little darling and will be sorely missed. Blessings to all.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so sorry for your loss.

I´m glad you were with him in his final moments, and that Skylar got to say goodbye ❤

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of Koko.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am deeply sorry for you and Skylar's loss.

Wings Forever High, Koko...

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so very sorry :sorrow:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry. Thank you for letting Skylar say goodbye - I always wonder how such highly intelligent creatures conceptualise death.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
IMG_20190427_174306839.jpg
I'm so sorry. Thank you for letting Skylar say goodbye - I always wonder how such highly intelligent creatures conceptualise death.
I kept thinking I am their mom, i must teach Skylar. It was so sad, after a short while Skylar went back down to Koko's body, he kept talking so loud right at Koko's head, he got on top of Koko and nudged him over & over (my husband had to leave our room cuz it was SO SAD) then finally when Skylar kept trying to feed Koko, I thought well that can't be safe for Skylar (germs ). I finally then took Koko out & layed him in my palm so I could spend a bit more time with him. Their cage is right beside our bed & I laid on my side facing the cage so Skylar could see that Koko was with me. Skylar sat on the cage door just staring at us in silent vigil. Eventually when I had such a headache from crying & my eyes were swollen, I let Skylar & Marley the Green Cheek (who watched in silence) get a close look at Koko, & I left the room with him. He is buried in a big planter, next to our first bird who passed (no plant just charcoal,dirt & seashells).
This morning Skylar came out immediately (he NEVER DOES THAT) & flew and walked around looking for Koko, he never called or screamed for him, he just looked everywhere, he was just making sure he wasn't here I supposed. He even got on top of Marley's cage and peered down in the cage to look for Koko. My husband was beside himself, me too. He said perhaps we should get him an old Budgie friend. but i brought up, illnesses, quarantines, etc. for now we'll leave it as is & hope it works out.

Today green cheek and him were out & he tried to sit SUPER close to green cheek twice (NOT a safe idea!) Skylar has never got near green cheek b4,even when they go in the same cage, I don't want him to start cuz Marley's bite would kill him, if he bit him. so i KNOW he is lonely & Skylar is NOT a people bird, but we are making a point to chat endlessly with him & i put a big makeup mirror in his cage, plus a little mirror.

Thank you all, for your condolences :(

here is a pic of how the cages r next to each other & my bed is right in front. Skylar is next to the Romaine leaf & Marley is next to the red toy. each cage gets to be in front of the window,they take turns & they all go outside on the porch in the budgie cage.

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry for your loss, it is a difficult time, but I think it is important to take the time for sorrow before deciding on a new bird. See if Skylar is really lonely or if he manages well. It is normal that he would call and look for his friends these next 2-3 days, then he'll understand and settle.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry for your loss.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thank goodness Koko was able to be on your chest when he passed away. That had to be great comfort to him. What a wonderful sweet bird.
I am all for showing other pets and their friends that they are indeed gone, as I think it gives them as much closure as possible.
It will probably take poor Skylar a while to actually process the reality of this. In the meantime, I am sending all of you my hugs and prayers.
:sorrow:

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
Thank you Fergusmom . Skylar has been doing well. he sits on the very edge of the cage closest to the bed and leans in and listens and watches us now . just when we talk to Marley the green cheek or when we watch TV. Or he joins in when me and Marley and my husband sing bird friendly songs, you know the ones where you make up the words. Skylar sings his cute little budgie sounds and gets really loud hanging off the edge of the cage looking at us. He calls for us when we all leave the room, something he used to do only for Koko. We always call him to come and fly with us but he won't do it he will only fly around our bedroom or whatever room we have his we have his cage in at the time and as long as we're home we leave his cage door open but we've always done that . Skylar is the very first bird that I ever had in my whole life ☺

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fly forever free, sweet Koko! :sorrow: