• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rings on toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin K

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kevin
I have many of toys for my GW that need taken apart and combined to make new toys. But there is round rings on the end of chains. They are not the key rings style. Some look as if they were melted together? OR just pushed together. How do I get the rings off the toys?? The when place new rings back on.. How do I close them? Do you need a blow torch to seal the rings closed? Where do i buy new rings? Thanks

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If they have been pushed together you can take two sets of pliers and twist them apart. You may or not be able to reuse them.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kevin like Ann said you need two pairs of pliers and twist one side of the ring towards you and the other away from you. Then twist the opposite way to close them. Do not open them by pulling them straight out or they will not close tightly. If they've been welded together you're kind of out of luck as far as reusing them for anything other than tying rope to them. You may need to get a bolt cutter to cut the chain to get the parts off. A handy tool every toy maker should have. ;)

A lot of the parts venders, such as myself carry the O'rings in different sizes. I recommend 19 mm and 25 mm sizes for a greenwing, provided of course your greenwing doesn't have a fetish for destroying any metal on toys. Mine does so he gets no o'rings or chain. You may want to make sure any metal parts you use are either nickle plated or stainless steel. Those key ring type rings (split rings) are also dangerous to use in toys. Too easy for a bird to get their tongue, beak, toes, etc. caught in them.

Have fun making new toys with the parts!

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
sometimes you can get away with getting rid of the o ring at the top of a chain and just running a quick link through the top of the chain itself. That makes reassembly alot easier when it comes time to rebuild.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
If they were welded, there is no way to safely reweld them since I'm pretty sure any welding supplies you'd need to do this easily would be unsafe for birds (like lead sodder)... I think there are safe sodders out there, but they're not easy and would be expensive or hard to find for someone just building bird toys.

Other welding/soddering products might be available like stainless steel, but I'm not sure how easy that is to do, how cheap it might be or the process involved.

You can't just 'blow torch' things back together, its a complicated process involving melted metal and chemicals to make the melted metal stick. My only experiences are making jewelery in high school art classes, and I know it's a tricky, stinky process. Anything smelling like that... I wouldnt let near my birds or let my birds play with.

I have cut a lot of O rings off, and have then been able to use the chain to string new toys on it. I use a bolt cutters my husband has at work if I can't get them with a wire cutter. As a replacement for the O ring I usually use a quick link that is bigger than the hole in the top or bottom toy part (and I make sure the part is indestructable or nearly). That way nothing can slip down off of it and let the toy fall apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.