• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringnecks deformed?

SEL83

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys, newbie here. We adopted a pair of ringnecks from someone who didn't want them, through a friend of a friend. They bred recently and the 2 babies are now 16days old. We have just taken them from the nesting box to hand raise them and we think they might be deformed :( this is our first time with baby birds so we aren't 100% but they both seem to only have a half wing on one side, and toes missing. I feel this will make life very hard for them. We wanted to handraise them so we could give them away as pets. But now Im wondering if we should just give them back to their parents? What should we do? We won't be able to keep them ourselves. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Have the birds bred successfully before? Raising young w/ no toes missing/ or death...
My first pair of breeder birds [Blue Front Amazons]... they/ he killed their FIRST baby.. [only think it was the male, because my pet female-- looked SO HORRIFIED and upset]... I pulled the next babies IMMEDIATELY, feeding from day 1. When, a year later, by accident I miscounted... and left the new baby in a few days, and it was Ok... so could leave them in for first 3wks.
So, check the next batch earlier... Only will learn from individual experience... and former owners.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im wondering if we should just give them back to their parents?
No.
Damage like that is usually done by the parents. Handfeed for sure. The bird that is younger looks splayed.
Are you able to track down someone knowledgable to give the birds to to raise? If not, seek help from your vet.

SEL83

Checking out the neighborhood
No.
Damage like that is usually done by the parents. Handfeed for sure. The bird that is younger looks splayed.
Are you able to track down someone knowledgable to give the birds to to raise? If not, seek help from your vet.
Is it possible the parent birds were related? I feel awful as I don't know their history. I'm trying to find some local help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm trying to find some local help.
Start with a vet. Get them to explore the wings and find out if the bird were hatched this way or if they were bitten off as very young chicks. I think it is a good idea a vet sees them to be sure they're OK and infection free.