• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck or plum headed parakeet?

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys, I've been thinking about getting a bird for some time now... But I'm not done with my research yet...
Here is some info to help you help me!
- I live alone, go to college and work (good eight hours out of home).
- I live in an apartment (though it's not wood structure, but a brick one - between the apartments)

What I want to know:
- which is the loudest? (apartment living issues...)
- which is the moodiest?
- which is the best suited for a first time bird owner?
- will any of them be cuddly, at least ocasionaly?
- do I need to get two birds (since it/they will be alone for some time...)
- any other species recomendation?
- should I keep considering one of these two species or not?
- what else do I need to know?

Thanks, guys!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Here to help!

What I want to know:
- which is the loudest? (apartment living issues...) Ringneck BY FAR is louder. We have both species (one is my parents) and he just goes off all day sometimes. My plum head is a so quiet you sometimes forget he's here, and when he does make noise it's not nearly as loud or "boisterous".
- which is the moodiest? I think they are both honestly. Depends on the actual bird.
- which is the best suited for a first time bird owner? To be frank, I don't think either are suited for a first time bird owner, but if it's really the type of bird you want, do lots and lots of research so you know what you're getting into.
- will any of them be cuddly, at least ocasionaly? Again, depends on the bird. Neither species (any Indonesian parrot actually) is known for being cuddly. However, Idris, the IRN, is semi cuddly, he doesn't really initiate, but he will let you pet him. Diggle, plum head, hates to be touched, and this is common with them. He will be your best friend and sit with you alllll day, but never wants handled much, accept by my daughter.
- do I need to get two birds (since it/they will be alone for some time...) If you provide enough enrichment in the cage I don't personally feel it is necessary. Foraging toys and opportunities will be key. But also, both of these species can turn "wild" very easily if they are neglected, so you need to make sure to have out and hands on time every day. This is pretty much recommended for all parrots, but these 2 really do need it.
- any other species recomendation? Depends on what you're looking for. A green cheek conure can be loud, but they are also are more well known for being cuddly.
- should I keep considering one of these two species or not? Like I said, if you research and it's what you really want, go for either. I would probably pick a plum head over an IRN personally, but I also don't care about talking ability or being able to touch him, but I also have 3 birds. The noise alone is enough reason for me to pick a plum head every single time.
- what else do I need to know? Birds live a really long time, so don't let someone dissuade you from either of these if they are what you really want. Getting a "starter bird" that you don't really want may end up with you being unhappy that you didn't get what you truly want. I know I've said it a few times, but research, research, research, and find the best match for you!

Let me know if you have any other specific questions :)

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Here to help!

What I want to know:
- which is the loudest? (apartment living issues...) Ringneck BY FAR is louder. We have both species (one is my parents) and he just goes off all day sometimes. My plum head is a so quiet you sometimes forget he's here, and when he does make noise it's not nearly as loud or "boisterous".
- which is the moodiest? I think they are both honestly. Depends on the actual bird.
- which is the best suited for a first time bird owner? To be frank, I don't think either are suited for a first time bird owner, but if it's really the type of bird you want, do lots and lots of research so you know what you're getting into.
- will any of them be cuddly, at least ocasionaly? Again, depends on the bird. Neither species (any Indonesian parrot actually) is known for being cuddly. However, Idris, the IRN, is semi cuddly, he doesn't really initiate, but he will let you pet him. Diggle, plum head, hates to be touched, and this is common with them. He will be your best friend and sit with you alllll day, but never wants handled much, accept by my daughter.
- do I need to get two birds (since it/they will be alone for some time...) If you provide enough enrichment in the cage I don't personally feel it is necessary. Foraging toys and opportunities will be key. But also, both of these species can turn "wild" very easily if they are neglected, so you need to make sure to have out and hands on time every day. This is pretty much recommended for all parrots, but these 2 really do need it.
- any other species recomendation? Depends on what you're looking for. A green cheek conure can be loud, but they are also are more well known for being cuddly.
- should I keep considering one of these two species or not? Like I said, if you research and it's what you really want, go for either. I would probably pick a plum head over an IRN personally, but I also don't care about talking ability or being able to touch him, but I also have 3 birds. The noise alone is enough reason for me to pick a plum head every single time.
- what else do I need to know? Birds live a really long time, so don't let someone dissuade you from either of these if they are what you really want. Getting a "starter bird" that you don't really want may end up with you being unhappy that you didn't get what you truly want. I know I've said it a few times, but research, research, research, and find the best match for you!

Let me know if you have any other specific questions :)
wow, thank you! That was a really helpful answer!
- You said the ringneck is lopuder, but is it too loud for an apartment?
- yeah, people say cockatiels and budgies are the best for first time owners, but I'm not interested in budgies and cockatiels are not my first option... about the research: I've been doing that for some time now hahahaha. First with budgies (then I realized it was not the bird for me), then I started thinking about cockatiels, but I'm not 100% sure about them either... I've been watching a lot of videos and " ____ care" or "____ 101", etc and I can even say that I started to understand some species' body language a bit! But I still have a long way to go.
- yeah, I read and heard they are not cuddly, that is something to Think about.
- thanks again, really! you helped a lot!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@Mari Amaral No problem! Depending on how thick the walls are, you should be fine. If there paper thin I would say no though. Cockatiels are honestly great birds and more cuddly as well, but you want what you want, and that's ok. You just have to know what you can handle and are willing to put up with personality wise from a parrot. If you can, I would try and visit both species, or any species, you are interested in and see how you like them hands on as well. That's how I fell in love with canary winged parakeets, and honestly, I overlooked them for a while because they're small and just mostly green, but once I handled them I fell in love. Like I said, any other questions, I'm here :)

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
- yeah, people say cockatiels and budgies are the best for first time owners, but I'm not interested in budgies and cockatiels are not my first option... about the research: I've been doing that for some time now hahahaha. First with budgies (then I realized it was not the bird for me), then I started thinking about cockatiels, but I'm not 100% sure about them either...
I honestly don't think budgies are a very good "first" bird, personally, and I think it's good that you decided against them. I love budgies to bits and pieces, but they're extremely delicate and can be hard to befriend, due to how easily frightened they can be. They also tend to hide their illnesses and injuries until its far too late, and depending on how they were raised, they may not be cuddly at all. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who don't raise them well and just churn them out like cheap baubles to make a quick buck off of. It's not impossible to befriend a 'cheap bauble' bird, but it can be quite difficult for people without that much experience with them.

Cockatiels are a lot less delicate than budgies, but if they're not the bird you want, I agree that you shouldn't settle for them. From my personal experience, they are a very cuddly species (though not quite as cuddly as lovebirds). But again, you shouldn't pick them if you don't want them.