• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck friend

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi all so as you know I currently own an indian ringneck and keep him in the bird room currently being bird proofed so he can be out and about all day and just sleep in his cage. Me and my family want to get him a buddy eg another ringneck or other asiatic species that we would keep in the same room with him but in a separate cage. Someone is nearly always at home and can ensure that the birds are healthy and happy. We are just wondering if getting another bird will make him more happy and comfortable while being alone in the room or not.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I understand that they may not get along

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think birds have an advantage having bird friends. Even if they end up not getting along, they do still have community. I also think birds can get to know each other and become friends. As with human relationships not all people make fast friends. Sometimes you meet someone slowly and over the years you develop a strong friendship. So with patience I am sure good things can develop between them, especially if they will have some of their own space and aren't expected to share a "bed room".

I can tell this has been eating away at you @Mantis64 ! You are always worried that your IRN isn't getting 100% of what they need. I appreciate that you consider your bird's lifestyle so much. I think if you bring that same kind of love and dedication to your second bird you will find a very happy birdie household. Though a little noisier :) Getting the first bird is a life changing event: new pots, no candles, door and window vigilance, bird friendly everything, prepping fresh foods daily, cleaning, etc.. Getting the second bird is easier. You have already made those changes your house is ready, your habits have become bird dominated. The second bird will add twice the expense at the vet, twice the expense on toys... other than those expenses and the extra time to spend with your new bird, I think you are ready!