• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck Doves Newb and guidelines?

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
-comes out of a pile of dust-
Hello! waves//
Its been maybe a year since I have been back. Losing Pri my lovebird last august really killed a piece of my soul. We were bonded and he was just a good ol boy. I love lovebirds but looking for a bird thats maybe alittle less maintenanc, less noisy, and doesn’t always scream for attention. Sorry for typos typing on my ipad.

I had a beautiful tame grey ringneck once, I really loved him but Pri was always jealous when I played with him so I found him a new loving home.

I am pretty dusty on ringneck lovebirds, can you guys tell me the differences between soft bill ringnecks and lovebirds, I know alot of the obvious but one thing I read on here I did not know was that doves cannot grab onto the cage but can hop from perch to perch. The old breeder I knew told me hers only ate grit, the grey seed stuff thats helps process seed, I don’t remember if I just fed him that or not.

The dove I use to have did not mind at all when i held it, he was so chill but almost too chill i couldnt tell if he bonded with me or not, its so hard to tell when they show affectionate.

Some of my questions:
-general facts i wouldnt know about them since ive only had other lovebirds/parrotlets before
-how much do they eat a day
-do they bond with people like parrots or not really
-how much is the minimum cate for one
-i heard they dont spit up the seed shells, so less messy cage besides poop and feathers?
- i heard some have issues with dust on their feathers?

I don’t really want to rush into things but I am considering one. I love how soft they are, love their coos, and just miss having a bird.
There is also a bird fair coming up this weekend near my town I am curious to go to but sometimes I have the urge to impulse buy and I really don’t want to do that and rather get to know the species before I get bird fever!! I just know one of the main things I did not like about having a bird was the empty bird seed shells and the seeds or shells would always gather moth visitors, had a bad issue with them and laid eggs on our clothes. Hated that! Hoping a dove would be better with that.

(also idk if i should note this, i have 2 cats and a dog, no kids, the bird would have their own room my office)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Well the bird fair is today! Wish me luck!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
-comes out of a pile of dust-
Hello! waves//
Its been maybe a year since I have been back. Losing Pri my lovebird last august really killed a piece of my soul. We were bonded and he was just a good ol boy. I love lovebirds but looking for a bird thats maybe alittle less maintenanc, less noisy, and doesn’t always scream for attention. Sorry for typos typing on my ipad.

I had a beautiful tame grey ringneck once, I really loved him but Pri was always jealous when I played with him so I found him a new loving home.

I am pretty dusty on ringneck lovebirds, can you guys tell me the differences between soft bill ringnecks and lovebirds, I know alot of the obvious but one thing I read on here I did not know was that doves cannot grab onto the cage but can hop from perch to perch. The old breeder I knew told me hers only ate grit, the grey seed stuff thats helps process seed, I don’t remember if I just fed him that or not.

The dove I use to have did not mind at all when i held it, he was so chill but almost too chill i couldnt tell if he bonded with me or not, its so hard to tell when they show affectionate.

Some of my questions:
-general facts i wouldnt know about them since ive only had other lovebirds/parrotlets before
-how much do they eat a day
-do they bond with people like parrots or not really
-how much is the minimum cate for one
-i heard they dont spit up the seed shells, so less messy cage besides poop and feathers?
- i heard some have issues with dust on their feathers?

I don’t really want to rush into things but I am considering one. I love how soft they are, love their coos, and just miss having a bird.
There is also a bird fair coming up this weekend near my town I am curious to go to but sometimes I have the urge to impulse buy and I really don’t want to do that and rather get to know the species before I get bird fever!! I just know one of the main things I did not like about having a bird was the empty bird seed shells and the seeds or shells would always gather moth visitors, had a bad issue with them and laid eggs on our clothes. Hated that! Hoping a dove would be better with that.

(also idk if i should note this, i have 2 cats and a dog, no kids, the bird would have their own room my office)

my dove ate 1-2 tbsp of seed a day

they definitely bond. my dove was really really loving

im not sure about minimum cage but i had the critter nation single unit cage

uh id say doves are messier than parrots or maybe it was just my dove cause he would fling his seeds everywhere

im not sure what you mean by the dust thing