• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck dove questions

Katrina16

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

I have a couple questions about Ringneck doves.

Q.1 What temperatures can ringneck withstand? (Like how much heat/cold they can tolerate.

Q.2 What are your guys thoughts on keeping ringneck doves outdoors?

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

The BirdHouse

Sitting on the front steps
Ringneck doves can be kept outdoors year round, as long as they are acclimated to the weather and have adequate protection from the elements and predators

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ringneck doves can be kept outdoors year round, as long as they are acclimated to the weather and have adequate protection from the elements and predators
What is the best method of acclimating? Do you have any resources to share? :) :geek:

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I think the winter temperature that they can be kept outdoors depends.. we get bitterly cold here and they would not be able to survive unless provided a heat source. Ring necks are not native to here, however the common pigeons, though very beautiful, are larger and do well here.

Birdhouse, what are your winters like there that you don't have to provide heat? I honestly don't know Ohio weather.
sherri

The BirdHouse

Sitting on the front steps
You could potentially put them outside anytime throughout the spring/summer/fall, however I think probably either late spring/early summer or else late summer/early fall is ideal so that they have time to adjust before the temperature extremes. The weather can get below 0 here in Ohio in the winter. If they have a sheltered place to get out of the sun, wind, snow and rain they are generally pretty hardy birds. It is recommended to give them some wider perches so that they can cover their toes with their feathers to prevent frostbite. Most breeders also recommend giving them more seeds with higher fat in the winter, such as sunflower, safflower, cracked corn, etc.