• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ringneck dove care

kimmycup1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
kim
Hi everyone, I am getting a ringneck dove tomorrow and I can't find a whole lot of information about them. I have other birds, but this will be my first dove. My main concern is grit. Most things I read say they need it, but I know it can be dangerous even for doves. Is it really necessary, and if so, which kind is best?

I've looked around on here and saw someone say they don't use grit, and their doves are healthy, but I just want to make sure before making the decision whether I will buy it or not. Other than that, I will take any advice about ringneck doves from anyone who has owned them. I've had birds for over 10 years and I'm excited to add a dove to my flock.

Another question I just thought of, do they need vegetables every day? I give my other birds every day, but I have read on a few websites to give greens a few times a week. I always have greens in the house along with other vegetables and fruit so I look forward to seeing what he/she likes to eat.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Been wondering the same thing about veggies!! I got my dove in july and just got him a bigger cage and trying to figure out what all he needs inside

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This may be helpful till the tagged members can help with their advice :) Pigeons and Doves - Feeding

It has information about grit right at the bottom.

Last edited:

kimmycup1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
kim
Right now the dove is sharing a cage with a parakeet, as they were adopted together, so if I do grit I will have to feed them while out of the cage separately. I have other budgies so I will probably move the new one in with them after a couple weeks of quarantine so that the dove can have their own space. They came from a bad situation, but they are healthy but definitely going through a molt. The ringneck dove loves to eat, and started cooing a few hours after I got him/her, and coos often so I hope that's a good sign that they are happy and content. The dove also is really interested in toys, and discovered a swing last night to sleep on.

I gave a few different veggies today and so far the budgie hasn't shown much interest and the dove seems to like cauliflower. It's definitely a learning experience for me and I'm enjoying having the dove around.