• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck breeding

auberi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Auberi
Hi there I have an Indian ringneck that has laid eggs, babies sre now about 2-3weeks old. I wasn't planning non reading she was a rescue and one day I just heard noises. She is very aggressive and has killed two of my birds. I have a b8g 20m long aviary with mousebirda. I foster birds foe a welfare and she came into my care. She is very aggressive which is normal.

My question is can I move her into a separate aviary with her babies. Babies still in the nest box but without the dad. He is my precious baby that I adopted from the welfare society. Will she be ok.without him. He feeds her about twice A day when she comes out but I see her eating plenty on her own. If I put soft food in her new aviary would that helps mimick the food dad gives.

I just can't keep her in my.large aviary anymore. And the dad would be distraught not being able to spend time with me daily. My aviary is linked to my house so he is free to be in the house or outside. He spends alot of time with me inside.

I just can't have the female.kill anymore of my mousebirds. I created my aviary as a sanctuary for tame mousebirds people raised and released and only help put now and then with parrots.

My African Grey ducthie a foster fail lives inside the house with me.

Help. I would like to move her today

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Maybe you could move them all now and return dad to your home in a few weeks or after babies are fledged? Feeding all the babies on her own might be pretty stressful and I wonder if she might kill the babies if stressed out.

But that’s just my guess. I have not bred ringnecks. And I’m not sure how much help dad is. If he’s only feeding her twice a day then maybe she could get by without him, with a constant supply of soft food. ??

What do you think?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The ringneck should have been kept separate from the mousebirds from day one. And certainly should not have been given a nest knowing they were male and female.

If you are going to separate any birds, take the whole family but proceed with extreme caution. I would even consider also taking the chicks for hand rearing to avoid then being killed by a stressed hen but ideally keeping them together would be better for them all.

@BrianB

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I totally agree with @Zara