• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck behavior

Kitija321

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kitija
Hello! Year ago i bought 3month old Indian ringneck from old couple who couldn't take care of their birds anymore. He hatched at their house and got fed by his mother and had only interaction from their dogs. So no human interaction besides feeding times.
Right now the bird is 1 year old and still is scared (thrashes around, hitting his wings againt cage bars) when i go near his cage to feed him or clean the cage. Othervise the bird seems happy- whistles random sounds (police and ambulance siren ones are his favourites), talks to himself,me or pigeons when they land on window and loves watching tv.
He won't come out the cage when i leave doors open, even with his favourite snack bribe.
I have bought him a large cage but i don't want to forcefully grab him just to move, it might damage his little trust.
So my questions are:
> does anyone have any tips to make him get used to hands? He already recognizes mine and my husbands face and voice
> is there a way for me to move him to his new cage without forcefully grabbing him (cage isn't too small for him, but i want his comfort zone to be full of toys, so had to upgrade to larger cage)
Pardon for my english

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kitija321

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kitija
Bump - still looking for advice :(
Except for moving cage one - we put fresh fruit and few other treats in the new cage, and left both cage doors open facing one and another so if he wants he can climb into the new one and it worked.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Maybe using a towel to not get him scared of your hands and associating them with a bad thing? I have a tiel who is very much the same as your ringneck. Good luck!