• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck age

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The only thing that you can tell from this picture is that he is an adult male as he has his ring. That would make him most likely two years old or older.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Could someone explain to me about how and when their eyes change colors. Mine has yellow/orange for the whites then a thin blue circle around his back pupil.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Could someone explain to me about how and when their eyes change colors. Mine has yellow/orange for the whites then a thin blue circle around his back pupil.
Their iris lightens as they mature. They use it as a way to communicate by pinning. They do it to communicate a wide range of emotions everything from a warning/aggression to excitement /play and even in courting. Pay close attention to your bird and you will get an idea of the frequency that they pin in different situations. Know that pinning can be an indicator to you that maybe you are over stimulating your bird or that you aren't respecting their boundary.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Their iris lightens as they mature. They use it as a way to communicate by pinning. They do it to communicate a wide range of emotions everything from a warning/aggression to excitement /play and even in courting. Pay close attention to your bird and you will get an idea of the frequency that they pin in different situations. Know that pinning can be an indicator to you that maybe you are over stimulating your bird or that you aren't respecting their boundary.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Interesting, I will be paying close attention to his eye expressions. How old are they when their iris changes colors? I was told he is 8mos... my vet believes he is older...

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Interesting, I will be paying close attention to his eye expressions. How old are they when their iris changes colors? I was told he is 8mos... my vet believes he is older...
Post a pic after a bird has got thier adult plumage its extremely difficult to tell thier are.

Mantis64

My bird is the same he is around a year ish now but when I got him at 6 months it was the same.

Mantis64

This a carrier cage he is in. First photo is the day I got him (this last Saturday) Second photo is of him waiting to see the vet.
What happened to his tail feathers. He looks young but I'm not an expert and like I said its difficult to tell after they reach a certain age for the first few months thier eyes be completely black and then cage eventually they do go lighter I believe. If you have a boy then he will get a ring at the age of two. Otherwise you have a girl hopefully someone with more experience can give you better information.
@cassiesdad

I have only had my ringneck for half a year or so, so I cant give you the best information.

Last edited:

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
What happened to his tail feathers.
What happened to his tail feathers.
I bought him this way. The store employee said it’s because he is a baby and his tail feathers haven’t fully grown yet. I saw younger IRN with much longer tail feathers- but that is the explanation the store gave. I have taken him to the vet to be checked out and he is being treated for feet infection and pain management.

Mantis64

I bought him this way. The store employee said it’s because he is a baby and his tail feathers haven’t fully grown yet. I saw younger IRN with much longer tail feathers- but that is the explanation the store gave. I have taken him to the vet to be checked out and he is being treated for feet infection and pain management.
The store dont know much about ringnecks then. They have thier tail feathers they just dont be that long when they are younger. They either have been plucked or have fallen out hopefully someone else has better info then me. It's good you are taking him to the vets and getting him treatment.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
The ringneck without the tail from what I can see looks like how my IRN gets when he chews his tail off due to stress/anxiety/boredom. He chews his tail due to his past life and thankfully it is mostly controlled now with lifestyle changes.

Once IRN has got ring not really possible to know their age unless have a ring with date on.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
By sounds of it the store probably wasn't caring for him properly. Sadly many pet stores have terrible welfare standards which is why I only adopt or rescue animals.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Tails can also get damaged rubbing on cage bars. Normally feather destructive behaviour starts on the body and less commonly would the tail be damaged first. I think it is likely he was kept in an inadequate cage and didn't have room to move around.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Thank you for your replies! I haven’t been on for a while. I didn’t go into the store looking to get a bird. This store chain is awful- they lied about her a lot. I just couldn’t leave her suffer. You are accurate about her tail feathers! Would You have any advice on to how to get her used to hands? And what I can do to make her more comfortable. (Think she is a girl because there is no sign of a ring)
By sounds of it the store probably wasn't caring for him properly. Sadly many pet stores have terrible welfare standards which is why I only adopt or rescue animals.