• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rikki's Big Weekend Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have a house guest this weekend.

This is Rikki.
She was found somewhere and handed in to a rescue. She was cage aggressive and they did not want to deal with her, so asked if Lyn would take her, while we tried to find her owner.
She is still this way with some and does attack one or two people, when I have her out flying around.
She drew blood from me the first time I grabbed her to transport her, but with-in three hours I had her sitting on my head where she chose to land.
She will not let me pick her up, so I take her with a net. (She does not take offense at this?). I can handle her, she tells me off, but does not bite, just a little nibbling.
As she can be aggressive the rescue has talked about re homing or putting out in an aviary.
I love her she is such a strong character, she shows no fear.
I have never seen a bird that puffs up and looks like a round ball, just before she launches towards her target.
When I take her with the net she just haunches down as if to say don't you dare do that to me. She sometimes flies away the first time, not the second.
So just to give her a change I brought her home to fly free in the house and nobody for her to attack.
She is so happy she is singing away out in the conservatory right now.
She took a bath yesterday, and she keeps doing her flirting posture for me.
It's quite funny how she sleeps in a cage with the door open, as I do not like closed doors. To see her on the play gym with seven of my Tiels and nobody seems to care, that was a shock.
She may have to stay:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: she is just beautiful....she may have to stay@@@@@@@@@@@ does that mean she will??? awwwwwww please say you will keep her....

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank you!
Yes Anne I am leaning towards her staying. She has done all the right things so far! She fly over and sat on my knee for awhile and now she is asleep on top of the spare cage I keep ready for visitors. It is night time and she has had the freedom to chose where to roost.
Funny how caged birds like the safety of a cage. It gives them a feeling of security.
This is the state she was in when we took her in at the rescue.

She sure does not live up to their reputation. Yes, I know she can hunt people, but she likes me. They say you have to interact with these birds to keep them tame or they revert to being wild. This is one of the reasons they are so cheap $50nz not tame. Breeding pair $125nz
Their reputation stopped me from getting one when I was looking around to see what I wanted in a bird. Put me off for sure.

Here is another photo that shows her off.

And here she is with some of the Tiels.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sHE IS SPECTACULAR..and those tiels..gorgeous, gorgeous window set up you have there...awww...I t hink she picked you , to tell you the truth...she just wanted to have somewhere to call home....awwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.