• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rikki the Ferret....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Crystal
I don't know if anyone remembers my post about a ferret that I got from a neighbor...

http://forums.avianavenue.com/other-than-feathers-speedway/16350-ferrets-i-have-questions.html

I only had her for a little over a month.

The last few days she was not acting herself. She was very lethargic, not eating and drinking much or peeing and pooping. I was worried.

I made an appointment at the vet I found and took her in. Her temp was very low and she was severly dehydrated. She also didn't seem to have any poop in her system if that makes sense. The vet felt that she was slowly shutting down. So, we decided it was best to help her over the rainbow bridge.

She ate a few treats before we left but I couldn't see her suffering.

Although I didn't have her long I still became attached to her and loved her. I feel terrible. :(

Her life wasn't that great with her previous owners so I hope I made the last month of her life worth living.

I bought her 2 new beds and never got to use them. I don't have the receipts and I'm unable to take them back. So if anyone can use them please PM me.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhh....I'm so sorry for your loss. :( :hug5:

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
I'm sorry Rikki left you so soon. My first ferret was also a Rikki. He changed my life in a lot of ways. Hugs to you
If you can find a local rescue, they can always use new ferret items, hammocks, beds, everything is appreciated.
More hugs
:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Matt

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry for your loss. You were very kind to take her in and provide her with love no matter for how short of time. She knows you loved her.
Run free thru the tunnels sweet Rikki!

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Ohh I'm sorry :( Euthanizing an animal is never easy. That was great of you to show her what a loving owner is really like, if only for a month.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug8::(

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
Thank you everyone. Its never easy. :(

I never thought of rescues Carla. I will definitely check in to that. Was your ferret a Rikki Tikki Tavi?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So Sorry!!

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
I'm so sorry for your loss. Ferrets really can touch your heart in a short amount of time and its tough losing them. They are like birds in that they can go quickly and sickness can be hard to detect until after it is too late. I'm sorry you just got to know this little one and then she was gone. My sympathies. That's why I stopped doing ferret rescue- it was just too hard to have to watch them die. I could handle everything else- but the short lifespan. You really do get to love them in a special way though.

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
I'm so sorry for your loss :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.