• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

rice, remind me whats the best? and what do you serve it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feebee

Jogging around the block
Hey guys, i gave Gerald a tiny bit of white rice tonight and he ate it! :eek: i think maybe cause i have started to give pellets i have reduced the amount of seed he is getting (not by much but enough to get him hungry to eat pellets - i hope)

so is brown the best? im assuming since its ment to be the best for us, (i dont like it but anyhow)

and what do you put with it? veggies? what else, i normally just give him his veggies/ grasses by hanging them in the cage, but could try something else! :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
brown rice is better but better still are the other grains
like ameryth (sp)
quinenoa (sp)
wheat berries
barley
oat grouts
you put in veggies as you like
:hug8:

feebee

Jogging around the block
i guess im going to be looking at all the types in the store tomorrow, all i know of is short/ long grain? hmm i wonder if my health shop might sell more of the different types.. is there any that i should stay away from? or is it just a case all are ok, but some are better?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
those that I listed are other grains that have more nutritional value then rice
oat grouts are nice
the first two have the most protien

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
do you have a bulk store near you it has every thing
mine is called bulk barn all the difrent flours and i getthe flex seed ther and nuts are in now in the shell
i even bought red rice but dont not much dif than white

feebee

Jogging around the block
do you have a bulk store near you it has every thing
mine is called bulk barn all the difrent flours and i getthe flex seed ther and nuts are in now in the shell
i even bought red rice but dont not much dif than white
dont think so, we use to have bulk stores but i have a feeling they all have shut down, but will do some searching, i know a couple of the health shops (food ones) have a huge range of seeds and rices and stuff, will look around :)

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
brown rice is better but better still are the other grains
like ameryth (sp)
quinenoa (sp)
wheat berries
barley
oat grouts
you put in veggies as you like
:hug8:
amaranth and quinoa :)

Amaranth is a very very tiny grain- like a poppy seed.

If you get quinoa, look for a brand that is pre-rinsed or be sure to rinse it very well before you cook it. The grains have a bitter coating that will wash off very easily but if you do not rinse the grains, you (and the birds) will be able to taste it. The rinse water will be cloudy at first but when the grains are clean, the water will be clear again.

You can sprout quinoa also- it will start sprouting in less than a day if the seeds are really fresh. Some brands of quinoa can be a little bit expensive. It's between $3 and $4 a pound here- that is about 1/2 of a kilogram

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I used to feed a mix of cooked brown rice with vegetables to my budgies, finches, and cockatiels but I've since switched to birdy bread instead :D It's a little easier and I can hide the vegetables in the bread by pureeing them. I found that my birds would usually eat the rice and ignore the vegetables :D

I think it is also best to pair rice with cooked beans of some sort, if your birds will eat beans. That will add a little extra protein to the meal.

feebee

Jogging around the block
I used to feed a mix of cooked brown rice with vegetables to my budgies, finches, and cockatiels but I've since switched to birdy bread instead :D It's a little easier and I can hide the vegetables in the bread by pureeing them. I found that my birds would usually eat the rice and ignore the vegetables :D

I think it is also best to pair rice with cooked beans of some sort, if your birds will eat beans. That will add a little extra protein to the meal.
he dont eat beans, not yet anyway! i saw your recipe for the birdie bread, so might try that! :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
for the birds they get brown rice and we put it in the birdy bread :D

But i have made myself White RIce(its the only one i will eat) and had some left over Baked Chicken and mixed veggies left from dinner so I scooped a bit of the white rice out cut off a chunk of chicken and shredded it up and put that on the rice, and added the mix veggies, Came into the birds room. dumped their seeds (it was almost time to re feed them anyway) put it in their seed dish (its when i was turning seed junkies off the seeds lol) and every one of them ate it all :D

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
i have several mixes one of the ones i do for Mollywood is Long grain brown rice, wheat berries, rye berries and barley. at home i add much much more to it (cous cous) Quinoa, noodles, beanrs, veggies, etc)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I use both white / brown rice BUT while still hot I add Cinn. powder or "sticks", Ginger Powder, Cayenne powder and hot pepper flakes and mix into the hot rice...this releases the oils and coats the rice...adds to the flavor so the birds will eat it...My birds dislike "beans" so I cook just till al-denta and then puree...I use that base in the birdy bread....they get it that way...I also cook ( 15 mins.) but leave whole barley/split peas/lentels and add those to either the rice mixture or the birdy breads...
Hope this gives you some more ideas....

Attachments

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Well..I have some super picky fids at times. Usually they have never had any fresh foods until coming here. In my experience the easiest to get the small birds to eat is the brown rice (no idea why) . I also serve it with squash or sweet potato, broccoli, chopped fresh green beans, apple or pear chopped, ginger and cinnamon . No idea why..but everyone eats the crap outta it. LOL

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I use both white / brown rice BUT while still hot I add Cinn. powder or "sticks", Ginger Powder, Cayenne powder and hot pepper flakes and mix into the hot rice...this releases the oils and coats the rice...adds to the flavor so the birds will eat it...My birds dislike "beans" so I cook just till al-denta and then puree...I use that base in the birdy bread....they get it that way...I also cook ( 15 mins.) but leave whole barley/split peas/lentels and add those to either the rice mixture or the birdy breads...
Hope this gives you some more ideas....

I do also notice the ginger powder is the key while the food is still hot. I never realised it until you posted this here. I do the same thing. BUT...I am lazy and mix mine a week in advance, freeze it..then add chopped fresh stuff to a mixture that is easily frozen. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.