• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rhinitis and other issues with shelties (Sad update - #3)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Having had to do the same for extraordinary companions I truly understand the deep feeling of loss. It's the last true expression of love we can give though wrought with the worst pain to our heart and soul. I pray for God to give you solace each day going forward. Hugs and love..

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so sorry he is experiencing this. You are such a sweetheart to pamper him as much as you can. I think you might be talking about the flap in the trachea being a condition called epiglottitis? I have read about this, as I have had episodes where the flap gets stuck and I cannot get even a tiny breath. It's terrifying. I sure wish you the best. :sadhug2:

What causes the epiglottis to malfunction?
A bacterial infection is the most common cause of epiglottitis. Bacteria can enter your body when you breathe it in. It can then infect your epiglottis. The most common strain of bacteria that causes this condition is Haemophilus influenzae type b, also known as Hib.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm so sorry he is experiencing this. You are such a sweetheart to pamper him as much as you can. I think you might be talking about the flap in the trachea being a condition called epiglottitis? I have read about this, as I have had episodes where the flap gets stuck and I cannot get even a tiny breath. It's terrifying. I sure wish you the best. :sadhug2:

What causes the epiglottis to malfunction?
A bacterial infection is the most common cause of epiglottitis. Bacteria can enter your body when you breathe it in. It can then infect your epiglottis. The most common strain of bacteria that causes this condition is Haemophilus influenzae type b, also known as Hib.
I guess it's genetic, or a breed problem. I hadn't ever heard of it before we met the lady who runs the sheltie rescue here. It's not in any of my books, either. Something just isn't right with the muscles or maybe their attachment, and it closes when it should be open occasionally.

He is gone, though, this afternoon.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I guess it's genetic, or a breed problem. I hadn't ever heard of it before we met the lady who runs the sheltie rescue here. It's not in any of my books, either. Something just isn't right with the muscles or maybe their attachment, and it closes when it should be open occasionally.

He is gone, though, this afternoon.
Oh Kelly, I am so sorry. Bless your heart. You have taken such great care of him, and showered him with love. He knew he was loved from the beginning to the end. Sending huge big hugs! I am so saddened.