• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Restless conure

Khushi4541

Moving in
It’s my first time housing a GCC and I just recently brought him home. It’s been about 3 days and I notice that every day once it’s starts to get dark out he starts getting very restless in his cage. He will pace around and scream and won’t sit still until I take him out. He’s either pacing or at the bottom of his cage ripping his paper. I can’t take him out because my living room and kitchen are connected and my mom is cooking and it could be dangerous for him to be out. I put him in around 6:30 and take him out at 8:30 and that whole time he doesn’t sit or play with his toys. He will occasionally go to eat and drink but even then he is pacing back and forth to and from his food bowl. Once I take him out he sits on my shoulder and snuggles in my hair and sleeps. Should I be worried about this behaviour? Is there anyway I can make him feel more comfortable to be in his cage during the evening?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
He is a usual GCC. He knows you get him out in the evening a he is waiting. He falls asleep because it is late for a bird in winter. Birds are sun light active. After the sun goes down birds are "staying up late."

Khushi4541

Moving in
He is a usual GCC. He knows you get him out in the evening a he is waiting. He falls asleep because it is late for a bird in winter. Birds are sun light active. After the sun goes down birds are "staying up late."
So should I put him to sleep as soon as the sun goes down? Usually we cover his cage with a blanket before we sleep but if he’s supposed to sleep that early most likely we will be watching tv in the living room and it will distract him

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
He may be scared of the dark, do you have a nightlight you can put by his cage and then only cover 3 sides of the cage? He needs 12 hours of silent darkness to sleep each night. If you are up making any noise or watching TV, so is he. If 12 hours is an issue, you can get him a sleeping cage to put in a quiet location during the night.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
hello and welcome!

I also have my Bailey in the living room/dining room. He gets covered up between 8-9 and though we are watching tv, when I check up on him he is usually sleeping. They get used to the routine, at my place he gets to come out at breakfast for a couple of hours, then again about 3:30 till 5:30 or so, then again after the cooking is done so he can eat with us. If we are late getting him out, he paces back and forth and is glued to the side of the cage waiting and watching...

little creatures of habit. :D

Khushi4541

Moving in
hello and welcome!

I also have my Bailey in the living room/dining room. He gets covered up between 8-9 and though we are watching tv, when I check up on him he is usually sleeping. They get used to the routine, at my place he gets to come out at breakfast for a couple of hours, then again about 3:30 till 5:30 or so, then again after the cooking is done so he can eat with us. If we are late getting him out, he paces back and forth and is glued to the side of the cage waiting and watching...

little creatures of habit. :D
Hmm this makes sense because his previous owners used to keep him in the cage during the day and let him out in the evening so maybe it’ll take him a while to adjust to his nee schedule. Does your bird enjoy being in his cage? I want to make it more enjoyable for him to be in his cage so if you had any tips that would be great!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Mine has lots of toys to play with and always plays but when I put a new one in, I play with it u til he figures out it won’t hurt him and it’s fun. If yours has not had too many toys or is quite young he may not know what to do with them...my previous birds hardly ever played with toys, so it could also be the individual...