• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rest in peace dog, and question to rescues/rescuers

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Forgive me if this is...long/annoying. We had a dog. He was a rescue. He was the product of a backyard breeder, who's mom was rescued by a "humane" rescue organization - he was a pitbull/mastiff cross. We called him a pocket pitbull. He was VERY small for his breed. He was born with a congential spinal defect, which resulted in him getting surgery when he was about 1yr old (it cost over $10 000, without insurance - a congenital diagnosis is the like... epitome of "preexisting condition") Anyway - he had mobility challenges coupled with the fact that we live in a climate where it can easily be -40 celcius in the winter. He hadnt been able to go for walks for the past 3 years (he was 8) due to his mobility, winters were becoming increasingly hard on him (which resulted in lots of house accidents) - he had bad... bowel movements, and his back end swelled up similarly to a baboon - initally I to him to the vet (his vet) for treatment for his bad bms and his vet essentially said - let me be frank, he shouldnt have survived as long as he did and while rescues (and rescuers) have good intentions, this dog has never not known pain and you have spent tens of thousands on retaining his quality of life but....his life has no quality (to be clear, the vet was VERY compassionate to my dog just - less so for me but i appreciate his direct approach) ANYWAY - RESCUERS/RESCUEES of birds. Care to share some stories? **i will never rescue or own another dog, but that's just me**

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you looking for other examples of animals that were rescued when they shoudn't have been? Just trying to understand the nature of the topic.

It's hard to put a price on a life. For your situation, I don't know the ins and outs. I see the opinion of one vet. Sometimes, I think we feel that by fully loving an animal who has only known pain and suffering prior to us helps make up for some of it. If someone has the money, energy, commitment, and love to give and the animal gets to know some kindness before it leaves this earth, I don't think I can find any fault with trying. Sometimes we do try too hard to hold on and do it longer than we should. It is a hard road to navigate, and I certainly won't judge anyone that is trying their hardest to decide when it is time to say goodbye or keep trying.

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Are you looking for other examples of animals that were rescued when they shoudn't have been? Just trying to understand the nature of the topic.

It's hard to put a price on a life. For your situation, I don't know the ins and outs. I see the opinion of one vet. Sometimes, I think we feel that by fully loving an animal who has only known pain and suffering prior to us helps make up for some of it. If someone has the money, energy, commitment, and love to give and the animal gets to know some kindness before it leaves this earth, I don't think I can find any fault with trying. Sometimes we do try too hard to hold on and do it longer than we should. It is a hard road to navigate, and I certainly won't judge anyone that is trying their hardest to decide when it is time to say goodbye or keep trying.
I suppose I am looking for examples - more bird specific of people whom with the best of intentions tried to rescue/rehome birds that were maybe .. not viable? For context I was SUPER involved in the local rescue world (as a foster, with said dog and my kids helping socialize other rescue dogs) and I truly felt like we we're doing something special until the day we euthanized our dog. And when I shared these thoughts with our "rescue community (dogs/cats specific) I was...demonized lol but... what is it like rehoming/rescuing birds from situations that are not ideal? Are there similar genetic challenges that plague birds and if so - how have they impacted their adoptees?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry for your loss. What sweet devotion you showed your pup.

I think someone who is qualified to answer that question in terms of rescue birds would be @Hankmacaw.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds can absolutely have genetic issues, or issues that come from the egg hatching/raising process. Birds born with severely splayed legs that can't be or aren't fixed, to the point where the bird is unable to walk. Birds that get their toes or part of their beak bitten off by parents. Birds that have Proventricular Dilatation Disease for which there is no cure. Birds fed crappy diets because no one told them any better and they suffer for years with atherosclerosis before they die. Birds that have atrophied wings because they were left in a small cage for years unable to move their wings fully. All of these things I have seen on this forum in the past.

The question of viability is going to depend greatly on the point of view of the person.

I have been "fortunate" that my rescue suffered "only" severe malnourishment, is chronicly underweight, doesn't fly for fun or even as a form of transportation, and has arthritis because of his previous home and their care.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
RESCUERS/RESCUEES of birds. Care to share some stories?
I didn´t actively bring home a bird from a shelter but I do want to reply to your thread.

what is it like rehoming/rescuing birds from situations that are not ideal?
I have a sort of ¨rehomed¨ bird. I found her (or rather she found me) at my kitchen door. I searched for her family for over a month before naming her and keeping her. So given that she was out in the world on the streets, I did bring her home from a ¨situation that was not ideal¨.
And I have had zero problems with her, health-wise. She got her beak stuck on cage bars, and toenail caught in a SS bowl rim, but she wasn´t hurt on either occassion and I was here to help her. She´s been with me for 5 years now. No sick bugs, no infections, no accidents needing medical attention, no eggs problems, not even a beak or nail trim. She´s perfect :)

Bringing home an animal companion, no matter if you rescue or buy, you never know what illnesses they have or will develop later in life. I bought my chow chow from a breeder and he did have problems with various things in his life and ultimately some problems towards the end of his life.
If you love animals, it won´t matter. We just pay the bills, care for them, and do our best to give them what they need.

Remember when talking about rehomed birds, some are from good homes, people who have fallen on hard times financially or other, people who pass away, people who have to leave their country. There are lots of reasons why a bird in a great home would suddenly be rehomed.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have rescued three birds (the only birds I have ever owned) and each was a severe health challenge. First a nineteen year old male Grenwing who had severe aspergillosis when I got him and had been terribly abused by his prior owner. He suffered from the effects of the aspergillosis for the entire 15 years I had him. He cost me over $50,000 in vet care. He was happy and had a real love of life. How could I euthanize him when he enjoyed living through sickness and health.

Second, a 6 1/2 year old Greenwing female. who I discovered had severe congestive heart disease and atherosclerosis three months after I got her. S.he was very ill and susceptible to every bacteria that came along for the 21 years that she lived. Again thousands of dollars of vet fees to keep her alive. She was happy and a complete joy to have. My vet often said that she was the sweetest macaw he had ever seen. How could I put down such a sweet soul? She died of aspergillosis that her poor unhealthy body could not fight.

Third, a 35 year old Greenwing female who was diagnosed with PDD and pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome and severe atherosclerosis soon after I got her. She has cost very little in vet fees because she has three deaths sentences and is on maintenance care only. She will die, but she is doing wonderfully well with lots of intense care. She, again has a zest for life - I cannot take that away from her.

My three experiences with bird ownership have been less than idyllic, but fulfilling and with lots of happy times. I don't resent a minute of my time, nor heartbreak, nor the money spent. How could I?

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I have rescued three birds (the only birds I have ever owned) and each was a severe health challenge. First a nineteen year old male Grenwing who had severe aspergillosis when I got him and had been terribly abused by his prior owner. He suffered from the effects of the aspergillosis for the entire 15 years I had him. He cost me over $50,000 in vet care. He was happy and had a real love of life. How could I euthanize him when he enjoyed living through sickness and health.

Second, a 6 1/2 year old Greenwing female. who I discovered had severe congestive heart disease and atherosclerosis three months after I got her. S.he was very ill and susceptible to every bacteria that came along for the 21 years that she lived. Again thousands of dollars of vet fees to keep her alive. She was happy and a complete joy to have. My vet often said that she was the sweetest macaw he had ever seen. How could I put down such a sweet soul? She died of aspergillosis that her poor unhealthy body could not fight.

Third, a 35 year old Greenwing female who was diagnosed with PDD and pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome and severe atherosclerosis soon after I got her. She has cost very little in vet fees because she has three deaths sentences and is on maintenance care only. She will die, but she is doing wonderfully well with lots of intense care. She, again has a zest for life - I cannot take that away from her.

My three experiences with bird ownership have been less than idyllic, but fulfilling and with lots of happy times. I don't resent a minute of my time, nor heartbreak, nor the money spent. How could I?

Thank you so much for this!!!!! I was feeling awful after the vets lecture I am sure he is coming from a compassionate place (because he cared for my dog so well) and I am sure he has seen lots of suffering. I still don't think I will adopt another dog - but your story makes me feel like I didn't ruin my doggos life (he was loved, he was happy, he loved rivers and mountains.) Thanks again!!!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You didn’t ruin your dog’s life. You helped him live as long as possible with dignity & love.

Any animal from anywhere may turn out to be healthy or have health issues. Two of my late mammals did. There are no guarantees. You sound like a well meaning person for any dog, bird or other animal.
:bighug:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I have always thought of death as peaceful for animals. They are not suffering after they die. As humans, we hold on and suffer after death. Memories we should cherish can be painful.
I, personally, believe some people hold on too long. I say that very lightly, because it is hard to have an opinion when every situation is uniquely individual.
I do get sad when a pet dies and people say they will never get another. I think one of the best things you can do is give a home to a pet in need, almost in honor of your deceased loved one.
But that is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
I cannot answer your question, but you did the best and loved your dog. There is no magical recipe to life, and some situations just do not have any clear answer or the right thing to do.

Bless all the rescuers and anyone showing compassion to another being, human or animal. That is all I know.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There is no magical recipe to life, and some situations just do not have any clear answer or the right thing to do.
:yes3::heart2:

Exactly. Life is messy and often confusing or difficult. Love is love, share what you can and don't let anyone make you doubt your compassion.

StellaLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stella
I worked for years at my local humane society, and we saw animals in every possible shape come through our doors, quite a number of them (dare I say most?) from backyard breeders. And I personally own now (and have owned) many pets, some of whom have chronic conditions that are currently being well managed. But for me personally, as soon as my vet says their quality of life has degraded is when I make plans to help them cross the bridge. It's really the kindest thing you can do for them, no matter how much it hurts us.
You are a kind soul to step in and do everything you could for an innocent being that had been let down by humans. You were his guardian angel, and if your vet said it was time, you absolutely did the right thing.