• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Respiratory problem on both of my budgies? :(

budgielov3

Moving in
Hello! I'm new to this forum, sorry if there are any mistakes ^^ I wanted to ask about some stuff about my birds, they aren't too well lately! Both of them are about 3-4 months old.

First of all, my female budgie had a respiratory problem ever since she came to us.. Her tail is constantly moving up and down heavily, we gave her asthma medicine and it's a bit better these days but it's still happening a bit.
Now randomly this tail bobbing problem appeared on my male bird too?? He never had this before, which leads me to believe it was contagious :(
It happened on my male bird hours after my dad gave him his first shower, which was very carefully done (used warm water and baby shampoo, water didn't touch his head), idk why it would lead to tail bobbing :/

My female budgie also has been pooping bad this week, I'm sure she has diarrhea. We separated their cages today so the female budgie can have the diarrhea medicine in her water (the medicine is apparently just vitamins that are good for birds with diarrhea) and nothing gets contagious

Before you immediately say to get them to a vet, as much as I want to it's not possible.. I have begged my dad multiple times but we don't have the money for it and the nearest avian vet is way too far anyway. I don't live in the US or Europe. All we could do is ask for advice from the petshop owner who knows about birds
I'm sorry if this makes me seem like a bad owner, if anything mild happens to my birds I immediately research it and I do anything I can possibly do in these circumstances. I hope you can give me advice about my budgies' situation, thank you..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds do not need shampoo, at all. The only time they need any soap is if they have something harmful on their feathers such as oil. Then you'd want to use a gentle degreaser (dish soap,like they use on animals during an oil spill), not baby shampoo.

It's really hard to know that it is. I would make sure that the air is as clean as possible...no sprays, no nonstick cookware, etc. If you have access to an air purifier that may help.

What is their normal diet? Some diets lend themselves to respiratory infections as they are not getting the nutrients they need.

budgielov3

Moving in
Birds do not need shampoo, at all. The only time they need any soap is if they have something harmful on their feathers such as oil. Then you'd want to use a gentle degreaser (dish soap,like they use on animals during an oil spill), not baby shampoo.

It's really hard to know that it is. I would make sure that the air is as clean as possible...no sprays, no nonstick cookware, etc. If you have access to an air purifier that may help.

What is their normal diet? Some diets lend themselves to respiratory infections as they are not getting the nutrients they need.
Thank you for the reply!
I see, I will be careful not to use shampoo again
The air is clean I suppose but here where I live there is constantly changing weather, 1 day extremely hot then 1 day cold ^^' There is also food smell coming from our kitchen sometimes if that counts?
Their diet is seeds mixture of "yellow millet, white millet, red millet, canary seed, safflower, flax seed, peele oat, color bread", as it says on the package
There's also bird sand mixed in it with "oyster and sea shells, roasted at 100 degrees" it says.
We used to give them greens when they were fine and didn't have diarrhea

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Both budgies need to see avian vet.
What asthma med did you give them? If it was Albuterol birds are deathly allergic to it. Never give them meds without consulting a avian vet.

budgielov3

Moving in
Both budgies need to see avian vet.
What asthma med did you give them? If it was Albuterol birds are deathly allergic to it. Never give them meds without consulting a avian vet.
Mhh it's called Avi-Ast, I think it's only in my country as I couldn't see english results of it.. It contains Vitamin C

budgielov3

Moving in
bump :/
my female budgie is looking kind of bad
her feathers around her face (eye and cere area) seems dirty if that makes sense? it looks like they have fallen out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is anyone cooking in your kitchen in non stick cookware? If so this may contribute to breathing difficulties in birds. If the cookware reaches a certain hot temperature a toxic gas is released into the air.