• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Respiratory issue with my Senegal parrot

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Hello all,

Last week I started to notice that my Senegal parrot was breathing like someone with a stuffy nose. The next day I went to the veterinary (last thursday) and during the visit my parrot was not doing any special noise, and the veterinary said he was not noticing anything odd. But since I was telling about the noise, he gave him an antibiotic that he should take during 10 days (it is called baytril).

Since then (it is 6 days now) I did not notice any improvment, and I even felt today he was making more noise, specially after flying.

I called back the veterinary and I am going to bring him back on friday for blood test and x-ray.

I would like to know if this kind of things happened to any other people (the fact that antibiotic are not working) and if it could be that there are some respiratory issues that cannot be cured. Btw my Senegal is 4yo.

Thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you record the issue and show it to your vet since he wasn't doing it while you were there? I wouldn't rule out the antibiotics yet since he hasn't taken the full course yet. Did your vet do any tests when you were there before?

SunTruth

Can you record the issue and show it to your vet since he wasn't doing it while you were there? I wouldn't rule out the antibiotics yet since he hasn't taken the full course yet. Did your vet do any tests when you were there before?
Good idea I am going to record him when he breathe with the stuffy nose. When I called the veterinary, the assistant checked what the doctor said last thursday and he said that if I feel it get worse to get my parrot back for x ray and blood test.

When I went there last thursday the dictor didnt conduct any test because my parrot was agitated and he said he would need to give him a product to calm him down for the x ray, and since he did not notice anything odd at the time.

Now in order not to worry too much I try to remind myself that he is eating well, but however I find him maybe a little less energetic.

Time is going to be long until the tests are done. Until friday I keep giving him the antibiotic and some vitamin.

For anxious people like me it is difficult because I imagine the worst.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's understandable. I would be anxious too. If he gets worse, I would try to push up the vet visit. I hope he starts feeling better.

SunTruth

Unfortunatly the earliest date they have is friday. So I will check until then and if something happen they take emergency.

Now it is my first parrot (and first pet by the way) so I do not know maybe I will be less anxious in the future with him, it is just that everything I am doing I fear I am doing it wrong.

But anyway the only thing that matter is them finding what he has and giving him something that is working.

SunTruth

Hello everyone,

Good news the antibiotics are working. No noise anymore when he breathes. The vet told me to still finish the whole duration of antibiotic (3 days to go).

Hope it is going to stay like this!