• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Respiratory illness

Papaya24

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone,
Last night I had to take my sun Conure, Papaya, to the emergency room. I noticed that she was flapping her wings a lot and seemed odd as well as breathing too fast. I immediately acted on this and took her to the emergency animal clinic. The vets are not sure what she may have, she was extremely tired and they placed her on oxygen. My heart is broken knowing I am not with her right now. Anyways, have any of you experienced this and have any tips on how I can go about this? They said she is eating and drinking and seems a bit better but they may want to keep her another day...I am so scared to go another day without her at my house. Any tips or advice? If we do decide to let her stay, what can we do when we take her home? Also, I did take her to the emergency animal clinic but should I take her to see her regular bird vet after? Thank you in advance!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
The vet will tell you what to do when you take her home the vet will suggest follow-up care with your vet and I would leave her in as long as recommended by the vet I hope she gets better soon

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She needs to be tested for a respiratory infection and aspergillosis. Take her directly to her regular vet from the ER. Neither disease is anything to mess around with - both can be fatal.

Papaya24

She needs to be tested for a respiratory infection and aspergillosis. Take her directly to her regular vet from the ER. Neither disease is anything to mess around with - both can be fatal.
Papaya is home from the ER. Doctor said she was better and active. Papaya does seem a little active, some chirping and she immediately wanted food and water. She ate and drank. However she is still puffed up and a little weak. Doctor said she won’t be 100% yet and she was prescribed antibiotics. What do you recommend?

Papaya24

She was very fragile and weak when they put her on oxygen so they did not want to risk taking blood out and possibly causing her more stress. However, I do plan to make an appointment this week to get her tested since she is eating more and is more bright and alert.

Papaya24

She got antibiotic because they suspect it’s a respiratory problem since she did not get worse over night.

Papaya24

That you follow Hankmacaws advice. That your parrot are better because it got oxygen, are alarming to me. Test needs to be done.
Why did she get antibiotic?
They said that she most likely has a respiratory infection but they did not want to draw her blood because it could’ve stressed her out even more.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My macaw freaks out when he gets blood drawn. He usually needs to be put in the oxygen chamber after a quick minute draw because he just hates it. But last time he was sick we needed that bloodwork to tell us exactly what we were treating. There are so many different antibiotics and treatment protocols for different things in avian medicine. I know the bloodwork helped me get my guy on the right path, so I can’t say enough about how good it is to get done.

I’ve got to second everyone who said to get her to an avian vet (I know you’re already on top of it):shy:. They’re generally not as nervous working on birds and have some good techniques for making quick work of any procedures.

I’m so glad your little one is appearing to feel better. :heart:

Papaya24

My macaw freaks out when he gets blood drawn. He usually needs to be put in the oxygen chamber after a quick minute draw because he just hates it. But last time he was sick we needed that bloodwork to tell us exactly what we were treating. There are so many different antibiotics and treatment protocols for different things in avian medicine. I know the bloodwork helped me get my guy on the right path, so I can’t say enough about how good it is to get done.

I’ve got to second everyone who said to get her to an avian vet. They’re generally not as nervous working on birds and have some good techniques for making quick work of any procedures.

I’m so glad your little one is appearing to feel better. :heart:
Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience. I just emailed my vet and hope to hear from them as soon as I wake up tomorrow. Thank you! And so happy to hear your bird is also feeling much better!