• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RESOURCE FOR BIRD VETS.

Karenlb123

Checking out the neighborhood
I found a great bird vet. resource! AAV.org is an avian veterinary website that lists registered bird vets. throughout the US and it's free and simple to use. Just enter your zip code, then how many miles you're willing to travel and then a list of bird vets. within that area will appear. I'm having an issue with my parakeet (Daisy) whose toe got pecked by my cockatiel. Just 1 drop of blood and no swelling, bruising, etc. and was eating and pooping fine.....but she wouldn't use that foot so she's been 'hobbling' around but will still sit on a perch with the bad foot hanging down. After a few days I found out the bird vet. in my area retired so I searched online.....found the AAV.org website......and found another vet. who was open 7 days a week. Daisy has now lost that toe (withered and fell off----sound awful but it's pretty common) as the blood vein in that toe was damaged and she's been on pain meds. and an antibiotic for 1 week with 1 more week to go. Still not using foot so I'm still worried but hopeful. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am glad you found a vet via that website.
If you are having problems, return to the vet for assesment.