• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued lovebird plucking wing

ValkyrieBH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicola
Sorry, I’m new to this...
I rescued this bird from an awful shop, tiny cages, masses of shrieking birds and fluorescent lights (we are in the Middle East) . I could see wing was ‘damaged’ and bird stressed so I bargained and brought her/him home. After settling bird in calm environment Bird has seen vet and had antibiotics and painkillers plus cone collar. It was incredibly stressful for Pippin. I could only catch her in a cloth, she is not at all tame and the collar make her so stressed, it was really awful and upsetting to see her. Eventually we took the collar off as decided better a happy life and bald wing. Pippin can fly around house during day, has baths and a nice cage to sleep in where she goes at nightfall . Only really eats seeds, will eat apple and peck some herbs. Have been trying very dilute aloe Vera misting over feathers which she likes mostly. We have another lovebird but they aren’t interested in each other just tolerate each others presence.

Issue; this wing was totally bald when I got her and looked tatty. Vet took out one damaged feather. Feathers were nicely growing back as per photo but then in one morning Pippin plucked them out again. I was so sorry. Again now they are growing back but I’m afraid the cycle will continue. Meanwhile we try to give as least stress as possible, very calm, lots of natural light, water available, she flies around a lot. Has 12 hours sleep every night in covered cage. Favourite toy is a shoelace, she picks at it a lot. Any suggestions - perhaps for a lightweight collar that won’t stress. I wish I could help Pippin.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for helping her. There is a company that makes "petal collars". I'll try to find the link. Also, I don't know if something like Avicalm would help. I'll try to find the link for that too.

@Zara ?

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Glad you took in this bird! It sounds like you will give it good care and a happy home :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Nicola :)

What did the vet say about the cause? Did they run tests?

One of the softer collars Michelle posted above could prove helpful and more comfortable than the plastic ones.

ValkyrieBH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicola
Welcome to the Avenue Nicola :)

What did the vet say about the cause? Did they run tests?

One of the softer collars Michelle posted above could prove helpful and more comfortable than the plastic ones.
They said it was the stress and become habitual. No tests but said it’s not mites as the plucking area is localised . Antibiotics given and a painkiller. Here in Bahrain we are bit limited with treatment. I have tried making different collars and we used a fluffy hair scrunchienforbmy other lovebird which was perfect. This bird has been too ill tested and stressed and she is so wary of me now because I’m the one who did the collars, has to catch her each time etc. She is slowly becoming less afraid of me and I can approach her now. She is out in the house all day and returns by herself to cage at night. All the collars we’ve tried have been nightmarish especially the plastic vet one which they said keep on for a month. She nearly hung herself by it with stress.