• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued baby Pigeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Any new pictures? He has to be growing like a weed!:)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:omg: I would never guess that was a pigeon! He's cute in a bizarre kind of way. I love pigeons, all of their cool iridescent colours.

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
So, how would I tell he is a he or a she? I read something about the length of his toes or something while he's under a month old, but it didn't make sense.
There's really no way to tell male or female at that age. Females have less iridescence and are slightly smaller as adults, but from the sound of it, Squit is bonding to you, so you'll probably find out for sure at about the 6-month mark when s/he does or doesn't lay eggs. They get much less cuddly and more independent around that time too, don't take it personally.

lemonmeringue

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Corina
IMG_2997.jpg

Little Squit!
He's getting so big, I can't believe it. I weigh him just about every morning and am amazed to how much he grows everyday. He's eating a lot now on his own, but Im still giving him breakfast by hand, which is a mush I've created. He really loves corn!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow..he got so big...love his name!!!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw what a great couple of stories. He has gotten so big!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What a cutie! They grow so fast!:)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:)Love hearing about the pigeons

lemonmeringue

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Corina
Thanks!
Anybody know when he might start cooing? He still just squeaks when he sees me and when he's eating. I've tried looking it up online and can't really find anything.
I bought a shelf perch and a ladder this weekend and he's starting to learn how to climb up the ladder, however, getting down is a different story. lol He pretty much just slides down the ladder. haha

Cyreen

Pinto and him met on the floor yesterday too. He seemed really excited to see another bird and Pinto could have cared less. Ha!
Please be very, very careful. I know this sounds awful, but I'm not just saying it just to scare you, but it's nothing for a hook beak to tear a softbill's beak off. While they do see each other in passing, Ollie never mixes with Mayu and Zetta, in fact they are on different floors and at opposite ends of the house.

Last edited:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
He's so cute!!!

lemonmeringue

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Corina
Please be very, very careful. I know this sounds awful, but I'm not just saying it just to scare you, but it's nothing for a hook beak to tear a softbill's beak off. While they do see each other in passing, Ollie never mixes with Mayu and Zetta, in fact they are on different floors and at opposite ends of the house.
Oh I am very careful when they 'mingle' Thanks for the advice though.
We have dogs and cats too, so Im very aware of how to be careful and keep an eye on everybody. :)

SterlingSL

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I had a pigeon that I raised from a baby when I was around 20. Found it floating down a stream and jumped in and rescued it. Don't recall how I raised it without access to the internet and the wealth of knowledge you can get now days. I just 'winged it'.

He grew up to be a happy 'Mr Pidgey' as we called him. Lived in the house and outside too. I had two nest boxes, one inside and one outside he could use for nightime and daytime use. The neat thing about Mr Pidgey was he would follow me about halfway to work above my motorcycle. I sometimes could see him in my mirror if I pointed it the right direction. I could get him up to around 50mph but he would usually peel off into the sky around halfway to work (about 1.5 miles). Coming home I would spot him either sitting on a telephone wire or he would show up out of nowhere and resume his spot above my motorcycle to the house. I always wondered if he just sat out there waiting all day but I found evidence that he would go back to the house during the day. He was one cool little pidgeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.