• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued baby green heron has returned after 8 months

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
I rescued an abandoned green heron (very long story) and released him 8 months ago. literally two weeks before hurricane Dorian hit us. I thought for sure he was dead, he was only about three months old and had just left humans. fast forward to a week ago: there's a green heron feather in my yard. The next day I leave fish in the blue bucket I always fed the heron from. A few hours later, my mom calls me saying there's a big bird on the ground in the yard eating fish from the bucket. I get my binoculars: and its the heron I had saved!!! (I had banded him so that's how I know for sure it was him)
My dad wants me to catch him and try to build back my bond with him. But I said no, I want Turk to be able to do as he pleases, I don't want him to become attached to people. He's not a parrot, he's a freaking green heron. I feel like that's the right thing to do...I don't want him to get hurt because I was selfish and tried to keep him for myself. Am I wrong for feeling that way?
He's not a helpless, defenseless baby bird anymore. he doesn't need his mommy to shelter him and feed him. Not to mention it's illegal to possess migratory birds like green herons.
(pics are from the day I found him in the water, before I released him, and last week when he showed up at the house)
IMG-4054.jpg IMG-4193.jpg IMG-4111 (2).jpg
IMG-5741.jpg IMG-5970.PNG IMG-5174.jpg
IMG-0910.JPG IMG-0911.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think letting him live free is the right thing to do and hopefully he'll continue to come back and visit you. : )

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've done something amazing in rearing a baby to adulthood. Turk is obviously independent, catching his own food and living a life in the wild. I think you're absolutely right to let him be and to not try to catch him. I hope he'll continue to come back and visit you, and maybe even bring his mate and babies along in time.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
They DO remember the people who healed them and loved them. When I was a kid we lived a similar story but with a hummingbird (S. America). Take it as "kudos" that you did well by your green heron; he's free to be "normal" but still recalls the kindness. They remember.