• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue update: A new cage for Maria?

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
So, Maria has been with me now for almost two weeks. In that time, she's eating a healthier diet, taking treats from my hand, begging for food from my plate, and letting me stroke her head through the bars of the cage. The vet advised me to wait a couple of months before transitioning her to a larger cage--her current abode is FAR too small (only 24"x18"), but is (to my knowledge) all she's ever known. She's extremely territorial, and she gets very defensive of me getting into her cage for any reason (adjusting a perch, offering a treat, etc.). She consistently runs from me or postures to bite if my hand is in the cage. In all my research I understand about slowly acclimating a bird to the presence of your hands in their cage, and I'm working on that. I do worry that keeping here in this same cage will hamper my efforts to gain her trust and train her, because she won't allow me to have any contact with her (even giving her treats) except from the other side of the bars.

So, my question is this...should I go ahead and put her in a new cage and let her adjust with the idea that it's a place where we both can be, or should I stick it out for a couple more months and just try my best to gradually make her current cage as adequate an abode as possible? Any guidance--especially from those of you who have rescued older birds with territory issues--would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I don't know much about Amazons, but I let Monaco (20 female ekkie) discover her new cage on her own. She can be wicked fast and angry with cage infractions! The bigger cage has proven less of an issue, and she still sleeps in the original with all of the aggression still present. She's particularly possessive about the perches, but trusts me much more now, 6 months now. Definitely offer her a bigger place as soon as possible, if nothing else she can see it and get used to it first.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Also, for a while I had to leave her in her sleep cage to do food bowls and clean out of her sight. A perch or play stand at the very least will help you out with maintenance and save her the anxiety and your sanity. It can be very frustrating. Does she step up and go places with you? If so, use it to your advantage. For about a month I only put my hand in/near the cage to get her out. It was a happy thing for her, and the food appeared by magic when she got back.

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Also, for a while I had to leave her in her sleep cage to do food bowls and clean out of her sight. A perch or play stand at the very least will help you out with maintenance and save her the anxiety and your sanity. It can be very frustrating. Does she step up and go places with you? If so, use it to your advantage. For about a month I only put my hand in/near the cage to get her out. It was a happy thing for her, and the food appeared by magic when she got back.
I think the best way to classify Maria is "moderately tame/untrained". She doesn't know how to step up, and I've been at a loss as to how to begin training her to step up since I can't offer her a treat from inside her cage. :banghead:

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
You can set the new cage up in proximity to the old one. Make it a fun place, fun toys, climbing and foraging opportunities.

Amazons are very inquisitive birds and will surely explore.
I'll try making it a fun place and see what happens. Unfortunately I don't know that Maria has ever had a toy--at least not in the past several years. Part of me thinks she's going to have to completely re-learn how to be an Amazon!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'll try making it a fun place and see what happens. Unfortunately I don't know that Maria has ever had a toy--at least not in the past several years. Part of me thinks she's going to have to completely re-learn how to be an Amazon!
Birds have instincts that will be put to use! They love to chew and play. They are funny, comical birds. Sometimes introducing toys to see helps.

I can tell you my Amazons don't like change. They like their perches where they are. You cannot rearrange or change them up. When I replace their rope perches. they have to be the same size, and in the same spot.

Or I will have to very unsettled birds. But if you add toys, like say a stainless steel cranky noise maker, show your bird by jingling it. They are inquisitive and smart.

Many birds are monkey see, monkey do. :)

jdeviese

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Birds have instincts that will be put to use! They love to chew and play. They are funny, comical birds. Sometimes introducing toys to see helps.

I can tell you my Amazons don't like change. They like their perches where they are. You cannot rearrange or change them up. When I replace their rope perches. they have to be the same size, and in the same spot.

Or I will have to very unsettled birds. But if you add toys, like say a stainless steel cranky noise maker, show your bird by jingling it. They are inquisitive and smart.

Many birds are monkey see, monkey do. :)
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I've certainly noticed that Maria is a creature of habit. She won't take a treat from me at all, unless it's on the side of her cage where her food bowl is! I tried offering one to her when she was on the other side of the cage, and she stared at me, sighed, and moved to the other side of the cage and sat there until I gave her the treat! LOL

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I have seen than type of anger and territorial response when in a small cage. that may be the cause or only contributing to it. I would put her in the new cage immediately have it set up already with perches and all. put her in and leave her alone for several weeks only put your hands for necessary things like water/food until you notice the change. (may notice it change asap in the bigger cage )

wanted to add: during the no touching time frame continue to give treats without touch. its important to gain trust

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What you have described is not a bird that is territorial about their cage... but rather, a bird that is terrified and, being stuck in a small cage, literally has no way to escape and feel "safe".

You could do both... get a new, much larger cage and get it set up away from Maria. Then slowly move the cage/her cage over to the new one (she is likely to freak out regardless) and allow her access to the new cage. If she's willing to come out of the old cage, she might go to the new one.

Regardless of what you do, Maria needs a way to "hide" and feel safe.

Target training through cage bars is a perfectly acceptable form of training and can be used to eventually teach her to go in and out of her own cage without issues, and to teach her to step up.

This thread has links to various websites on training.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Have you tried the treat cup situation? It's a small special cup just for treats. I put one on the inside of monaco's door, and it has done well to introduce new perches and other new things. It may help you help her to start exploring the world beyond the cage by leaving the door open after she's used to getting goodies from the cup. That can lead to a way to try step-ups from the cage door instead of inside it.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I had a smaller cage for Lucy when I got her, it was 32 X 24. I couldnt afford another cage for a couple months and when I did get her a new one I put it next to hers. She wouldnt have anything to do with it until she seen me hanging toys in it and playing with them. She loves bells and I put a couple in there and would ring them as I was setting the cage up.
Once I let her out, she went right over to the cage and went exploring it. Shes pretty much the same now, very curious and wants to know what you are doing.