• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue Scaly-Naped Diet

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hey all!
We had a (what I believe to be) Scaly-Naped Amazon abandoned outside our doors with a note and a small amount of seed.

As far as a seed diet is concerned, is there a “better” option that Walmart/Petsmart/Petco would carry? We currently only have a cockatiel and parakeet mix that she’s being fed as they’ve “not yet” ordered something for her. It seems that she’s mostly eating the larger sunflower seeds and not so much of the small ones.

TIA!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Pellets should be offered, as should be fresh vegetables and fruit. Sunflower seeds are not ideal as they are high in fat and a common cause of fatty liver.

I would use a more parrot- friendly mix, preferably without the sunflower seeds. Limit sunflower to treats and for use in foraging toys

@Mizzely will be able to give you a better diet breakdown of how much and what of.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't really feed sees mixes as most of it usually goes to waste in my experience.

Pellets plus fresh foods should be the focus, and then nuts are a great treat :) Amazons are prone to obesity and fatty liver disease so they shouldn't have seeds as a cornerstone of the diet.

Moshimaru

Avenue Veteran
Yes, pellets are best but as far as getting them to order is another story. Just wondered what to look out for not to feed would be best.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If pellets aren't an option, then a mostly fresh food diet with a multivitamin would be good.

Amazons do not do well on seed mixes long term

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As @Mizzely stated, amazons are prone to obesity and fatty tumors when kept on all seed diets. At least my local Walmart and Petsmart sell some pellets for similar prices to seeds .

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, pellets are best but as far as getting them to order is another story
I don't understand who you mean by "them". Isn't this bird under your control?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pellets (roudybush or ZuPreem natural were loved here).

Vegetables are good.

Sunflower seeds are awful. My avatar bird is on medication because of them.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Pellets are quite easy to come by. Most of the time I order them online from Chewy or Amazon. I don't have to carry them home, they offer free shipping and the prices are the same or less than our local stores.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use cockatiel seed for all my birds including my amazons. They are prone to fatty liver disease and most large parrot seed mixes are higher in fat. However, I don't feed my birds a lot of seed. Less than 30% of their diet is seed on most days. For most of the year, I feed more pellets and fresh or cooked healthy veggies and a few beans and grains that don't normally make it into seed mixes from the pet store. I can't stress enough the fresh veggies. Especially those high in vitamin A. Think sweet potato, cooked yellow squash, peppers. Greens and green veggies are good for them but usually not favorites. I still offer something like broccoli or green beans a couple times a week when I know they are hungry.
Also, I have never once heard of a captive scaly naped amazon in the united states. I suspect you either have some variety of mealy amazon or maybe a yellow nape that just doesn't have any yellow on its nape. Maybe post a picture if you get time.

Moshimaru

Avenue Veteran
I don't understand who you mean by "them". Isn't this bird under your control?
Management Is the one that orders anything. I’m still waiting for the food they ordered to show up, it’s been 12 days now since she’s been here. A coworker brought in a bag of seed she was given for her Grey so she currently has food.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pretty bird. Looks like a yellow naped amazon to me. While you are waiting for the ordered food to arrive, try getting him to eat some fresh veggies, cooked sweet potato and a fruit or two.