• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue Quaker or Baby Conure?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hey Bird Loving Friends!
Wondering what everyone's thoughts were on my situation... I recently lost my rescued Sun Conure, we aren't sure why but my vet assumed she didn't have a great start and was older than I was originally told, we were told she was 12 years old. She was totally my heart bird... I definitely want another bird! I have two options right now that I am leaning towards.

1. Baby Conure that I would had fed, a Yellow Sided Green Cheek (yes I have hand feeding experience!)
2. Blue Quaker that is just a year old, owner needs to rehome due to COVID-19 and some personal reasons.

Help me out! I love the thought of hand feeding, and flight suit training from a young age... but also love the thought of rescuing another bird who needs a home! I do NOT have any Quaker experience, but have been doing extensive research. I've attached a photo of the Quaker!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
She's beautiful. I am not sure but I think the black is from bronzing ( wearing the color off the feathers from rough play). They look too thick to me for stress bars. But I am not an expert.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Congratulations to you and your new feathered friend! :) The dark edging on the feathers does seem larger than typical stress bars. A molt should eventually bring in more normal appearing feathers, especially with a good loving home and good diet.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Congratulations to you and your new feathered friend! :) The dark edging on the feathers does seem larger than typical stress bars. A molt should eventually bring in more normal appearing feathers, especially with a good loving home and good diet.
Thank you! A few people on a bird Facebook group told me that the dark edging is actually a mutation of sorts?....

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Thank you! A few people on a bird Facebook group told me that the dark edging is actually a mutation of sorts?....

I've never seen that before, but I suppose that it's possible. Could be someone here knows better than I do and will comment.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I've never seen that before, but I suppose that it's possible. Could be someone here knows better than I do and will comment.
No worries either way! She is currently on Tropicana pellets, seeds ONLY as training treats, and we are working on making some chop. So, if it is diet related hopefully it will improve next molt.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What’s her name?

I know nothing about quakers (I can’t get one anyway, Connecticut yay! :shifty:) so I don’t know what the black edging is, but hopefully it’s not an issue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would be very surprised if it is a mutation. It is likely bronzing, but could also be from a poor diet.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
What’s her name?

I know nothing about quakers (I can’t get one anyway, Connecticut yay! :shifty:) so I don’t know what the black edging is, but hopefully it’s not an issue.
No name yet! Working on some ideas, my other birds have fruit names haha so thinking something fruity!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hopefully it clears up! Want her/him to be healthy.
Bronzing is just from them rubbing up against stuff - toys or tents, etc. Very common in young birds or rough players!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! She's really cute.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
please share your updates would love to see her grow up